What brand of RAM to buy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by godette, Jul 28, 2013.

1. godette macrumors member

Hi everyone. I have an early 2009 iMac that's now running really slowly. It freezes all the time. I'm only guessing but I think it's time for me to add RAM to it. I've only used half of my hard drive space, so that can't be the issue. Would additional RAM be the answer?
    If it is, what kind of RAM or what brand or how much RAM do I buy? I've never done this before so any advice you can give would be really helpful. And nothing too technical please. :)
    I've attached some pics of specs that I thought might be helpful.
    Thanks muchly!

Attached Files:

2. MaxinMusicCity, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

MaxinMusicCity macrumors regular

Crucial RAM has always been good for me, however you "could" have another issue. I would install the "Free Memmory" app just to see how much RAM is actually being used. That might help confirm the reason for the "freezing".

3. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

4. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

OWC's Memory Upgrade page will help you spec the exact RAM you need very easily. I've used their RAM several times before and it's been great, but even if you don't order from them it'll show you exactly what you need.

5. godette thread starter macrumors member

Hi, all. Thanks very much for all your responses. Is the OWC RAM available on ebay?

6. Serban Suspended

what RAM does Apple by default provides for the 21.5" and 27" ??

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Samsung was what mine had however brand doesn't matter if you are trying to match however specifications are critical (buy what Apple recommends) and matching pairs of RAM is critical too.

----------

No, only from www.macsales.com