What brightness is your iPhone 5 set at for the people getting 8 hours?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiseDarthVader, Oct 18, 2012.

1. RiseDarthVader macrumors member

I'm surprised people are getting 8 hours on their iPhone 5 with LTE just as Apple states but I only manage to get 3 hours with lots of web browsing on 3G so I'm guessing brightness level is a huge contributing factor to this.

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Mine is right between the "n-e" in "brightness."

3. SwingOnThis macrumors regular

I have mine set to about 50%. I will not go lower, what's the point of having this amazing device if you can't enjoy one of it's best features, the beautiful retina display? Just for an extra 45 minutes of battery life? No thanks.

It's funny, when i used to go into the apple store i'd look at the iphones on display and think, "wow! these phones look so much better than my iphone!" And that's because they were all set to 100% brightness.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. james92se macrumors 6502a

Directly under the "n" in brightness, with auto brightness turned off. Push off, fetch manually.

I get substantially BETTER battery life on LTE than I do on Faux G. I'm guessing because it's far more efficient or something. The days I'm stuck on Faux G for extended periods of time my battery life is always much poorer than when I'm solidly on LTE all day. And it's not a subtle difference either, we're talking big time noticeable - several hours of usage time difference.

So it doesn't surprise me that people who either have no LTE or very spotty LTE get much poorer battery life than some of the rest of us.

6. aleni macrumors 68020

i use my iphone 5 indoor for the majority of the time. i can squeeze the battery life out of this for about 10 hours and 49 minutes until it's completely depleted. of course i didnt play heavy games like n.o.v.a 3. just some casual happy street gaming, music, browsing and chatting.

i turned off the auto brightness because i think it's currently has bug that makes the brightness all the way up and not going down after i enter the home.

if i turn the brightness for 50% to 70%, the battery feels too fast to go down, just like the 4S.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

100%, last from getting up at ~7:00am to when I go to bed at ~11/12

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I set it at 40% but it's on auto brightness so it changes depending on the lighting.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

~20-25%
    The iPhone5 is retina scorching bright compared to iPhone 4, hurts to use.

But i get more than 8hrs. Last couple times I checked on track for 10hrs usage.

Strong LTE home, work, all around area

Sun am-Monday evening
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350566546.461081.jpg

10. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

Not sure what % is set at but here a pic

Attached Files:

11. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

The only way you're going to achieve the claimed battery life on message forums is to set the brightness down very low. I for one cannot stand dim screens, so I prefer to have my iPhone set at a brighter level than most.

But, I am always charging my iPhone 5 as I have cables everywhere (home, car, office), so for me it's not an issue.

When I am going to be away from a charging cable all day, I find that 50% brightness (set to auto-brightness) and auto-dim after 1 minute is tolerable and the charge will last the entire day (at least 8 hours).

This is with LTE and BT on with a normal balance of texting and browsing (not constant).

12. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I never think about any of this crap. I just get the phone and use it. WiFi always turned on. Bluetooth always turned on. Auto-Brightness turned on.

I take my phone off the charger at 7:45 am. When I am getting home at 6:30PM, I still have 65%-75% battery.

This is sending about 30 SMS/iMessages, reading a few emails, browsing a few sites on my lunch break, taking a few pics, checking sports scores...

13. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Mine is probably around 80% brightness. I took my ip5 off of the charger yesterday morning at 7:00 and 27 hours later I'm still at 59%. My ip5 battery life is much, much better than my ip4!

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Same here, auto bright on, Wifi on, BT on, I wake up at 6:30am...it goes back on the charger at about 11:30 pm...usually have between 30-40% left.

15. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Auto-brightness set to Off.
    Slider set to just over the two 'ss'

Battery % turned off which cured all of my battery woes !

16. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Found auto-brightness too dim indoors, so I've set it to about 45% with auto-brightness off.

17. cababah macrumors 68000

When the auto brightness is fluctuating and will sometimes go way up, I get ~ 5 hours use compared to ~ 8 when I keep it at roughly 30%. For me, it is a major battery killer or saver depending on where you have it set.

18. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

19. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

With everything on including Bluetooth and the screen on auto-brightness i get about 7 hours before the first warning, so eight hours seems the norm for me no matter what i do. When i out the brightness down to about half it seems to add an extra hour or so. The screen makes a difference.

20. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I run mine at 50% and go 15 to 17 hours and still have 45% left on the battery. I do not do social programs on my iPhone 5

21. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502