What cable do I need to connect this monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by patricem, Mar 23, 2014.

1. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I couldn't wait anymore for a mini update so pulled the trigger on a great used 2012 mini. I have read many reviews about monitors but am thinking of going with the ViewSonic - 27" IPS LED HD Monitor ,Model: VP2770. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00906HNZU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
    Can someone please tell me exactly which cable do I need to connect this monitor to get the 2560 x 1440 resolution? I have been reading and researching but I'm still just not sure what I need. Any links or good price would be appreciated! Thank you

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You would need either an HDMI cable or a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

3. Chancha macrumors 6502a

That's not correct I am afraid.
    He defo needs a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, that's the only way to drive any resolution more than 1920x1200 from a mini. The HDMI port version is limited to HD only. Not sure about the Viewsonic but most 27" monitors ship with such a cable already.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

HDMI is able to drive a screen larger than 1080p. The only requirement is having a monitor that allows it as Mac OS X already does allow it.

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

6. 808? macrumors 6502a

It should ship with: power, USB, DL-DVI, VGA and DisplayPort cables. Factory calibration report as per the TFT Central review.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Not on the Mac Mini. At least not without hack. On the Mini the HDMI is limited (OOB) to 1080p.

8. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Yes, you need the right cable, and the monitor comes with several. You still need the right mDP adapter, and dual-link DVI needs that somewhat-pricey mDP to DL-DVI adapter.

9. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

11. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Accrding to a product description that I found, the display has DisplayPort, HDMI, Dual-Link DVI and VGA inputs.

If that's the case, you need a "MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort" connecting cable.

I'd suggest monoprice.com.