What cable should I get for new LCD monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kinsey, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Kinsey macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 24 inch LCD monitor. It has a VGA, a DVD-D and a HDMI Port. I have a G5 Mac with a DVI-I and an ADC port.

The monitor came with a VGA cable. The sales person sold me a DVI to DVI cable (single link, 18+ 1 pin), but I get this message on the screen - "check signal cable." Is this the wrong cable? I just moved so am thinking it might be that something's loose in the tower.

Perhaps there is there a better way to connect the two. When I got home I read in the manual

"Mac adapter
    For Apple Macintosh use, a separate plug adapter is needed to
    change the 15 pin high density (3 row) D-sub VGA connector on
    the supplied cable to a 15 pin 2 row connector."

but that seems weird since neither of my ports are 2 rows.

Perhaps I should try DVI to HDMI? I do web design and video. Also, can you get these cables at Futureshop? I am now in a rather small town and don't have a Mac store.

thanks a lot

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

DVI to DVI should work just fine. That note about needing a VGA adapter is incredibly old. No Mac since the Beige G3 had a non-standard VGA plug.

Try restarting your Mac after plugging the cable in. Also make sure there are no other cables plugged into the monitor or graphics card, just to be sure.

Also, it might be helpful to know specifically what graphics card and monitor you're using.

PS: I would return the cable you bought, and buy one from Monoprice (link) to save a buck.

3. Kinsey thread starter macrumors newbie

found the problem

Thanks for your reply. Turns out I had to change the setting of the monitor to DVI. It came preset to RGB. Once I changed it to DVI, it worked fine. Phew. But no thanks to the manual which doesn't describe anything, and if it does, is out of date.

That monoprix is a good deal but I needed this thing working yesterday. Plus I'm in Canada.

The monitor is great - but I noticed it jiggles when I type or move the table. That's gonna be annoying. Any solutions for that?

4. matt321 macrumors member

Mount it to the wall??? :D I know what you're talking about, my monitor moves a lot too but tightening up the base seemed to help. Does you monitor adjust? Can you lock it in place?

5. Kinsey thread starter macrumors newbie

jiggler

I guess I could try tightening it some..but I still think it will jiggle. It's more a side to side thing. Needs some support....geez. It's always something..