Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

th3-sc13nt1st

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Which Call of Duty should I get first? Preferably the Macintosh version (of course). Does anybody still play Call of Duty 1 or 2 online any longer? Or should I just buy Call of Duty 4 first? Eventually I'd like to get all three for Mac, but one will suffice for now.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
i got call of duty 2 for my windows partition but when i got cod4 i only play that. i would just say get cod4 and jump right in. lots of servers and endless fun. i use to play battlefield 2142 but i am all about cod4 now. good stuff.

JGeorge07

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
COD4 is one of the best games released in the last 2 years on any system, so I would definitely say to start there. You won't be dissapointed.

Kaos Theory

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Both Great Games

If you are looking for better graphics, I would recommend COD4, of course. However, there actually still seems to be more servers that cater towards COD2, and most players that I have encountered agree that COD2 is the best of the series. I do not own COD4, but have heard many glowing reviews. However, the single player story-line is extremely short in COD4. I have had some problems with COD2 running choppily on my nVidia iMac, so you might actually get BETTER performance from COD4 if you have a newer computer. Anyway, it's really up to your preference. I recommend the Tribulation Force servers, who also have a good web-site where you can check your stats. If you get COD2, keep a look out for [The Long Patrol] Jester on Trib-Force! Good luck, and have fun.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I play Call of Duty United Offensive but I would suggest getting COD4 if your computer can play it, very populated and more replayability than the other ones because of perks, challenges and customization.

ChrisN

djkirsten

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
there are really 2 options here, as noted by others, COD2 or COD4.

they are completely different games, COD2 based in WW2 and COD4 is based pretty much...now...hence the "modern warfare".

i play COD2 on almost a nightly basis because i find it more challenging...but i also really only play on a "bolts only" server in COD2 which means one-shot-one-kill....but you have to be pretty skilled to kill. there are lots of all-gun servers with autos but i prefer to be more evolved than the "spray-and-pray" gamer.

i enjoy COD4 but its easy to just get mowed down by huge guns...and its worse in hardcore mode....so i feel like there is less skill envolved...again kinda alot of spray-and-pray...but much more tactical. also the perks can become annoying. for example "martyrdom" which is when a player dies they drop an active grenade...so you end up having to train yourself to kill and then run away as quickly as possible (which seems opposite from most multiplayer games...you kill and then run over to their dead body to retreive their weapons). but as was said earlier, this game has won all sorts of awards and has really great reviews....just be prepared to be "noobed" alot.

if you can borrow both from a friend i would recommend it as they are two different kinds of gameplay....as for the other COD's...i've never played COD1, i've heard nothing but bad things about COD3, and alot of people think COD5 World At War is alot like COD2. i enjoy cod5 but it just hasn't picked up momentum yet.

also COD5 WAW isn't available for mac yet....only pc

sorry for the long answer, hope i helped.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
People who have played COD 2 and Uo and the original have told me that in COD2 hacking is more of a problem which is why I'm staying with COD/COD UO.

ChrisN

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
CoD2 and CoD4 are both great games.

But I'd say CoD4 first :) Although that wasn't the case for me... haha.

you'll have loads of fun with CoD4 :D

Btw, don't even touch CoD3 and CoD: World at War (NOT CoD5... let's not be confused here). They're not as good as 2/4 :)

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
COD4 has something like 14,000 servers the last time I payed attention.

The single player has a good story line, but for some its too short. I didn't mind that at all and some people don't even bother with SP and jump straight into MP.

There is more than one mode of play like normal, hardcore and old school. Hardcore is basically one-shot one kill and no visible HUD. Old school doubles your life and increases your jump ability. There are other specifics, but you can find out when you pick up the game.

I played COD1, COD2 and COD4 and they are all good games. It really depends what you are in the mood for. WW2 or modern warfare? At some point you should pick up all 3 just to play the SP. But if you are an MP addict then its COD2 or COD4.:)

Good luck...:D

yukio

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
i'd run under Boot Camp - or rather, i do run under Boot Camp.

the even versions of COD seem better than the odd ones. personally, i prefer COD4 to COD5:WAW.

COD6 is in the pipe supposedly, and by the same studio that did COD4.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
i play COD2 on almost a nightly basis because i find it more challenging...but i also really only play on a "bolts only" server in COD2 which means one-shot-one-kill....but you have to be pretty skilled to kill. there are lots of all-gun servers with autos but i prefer to be more evolved than the "spray-and-pray" gamer.

i enjoy COD4 but its easy to just get mowed down by huge guns...and its worse in hardcore mode....so i feel like there is less skill envolved...again kinda alot of spray-and-pray...but much more tactical. also the perks can become annoying. for example "martyrdom" which is when a player dies they drop an active grenade...so you end up having to train yourself to kill and then run away as quickly as possible (which seems opposite from most multiplayer games...you kill and then run over to their dead body to retreive their weapons). but as was said earlier, this game has won all sorts of awards and has really great reviews....just be prepared to be "noobed" alot.

Couldn't agree more. There's far too many gamers who play as if they're watering the lawn. Rather lame to play w/o even trying to use some kind of skill. Its the sort of the same thing that bugs me about the helicopter and air strikes...although at least you earn those.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Couldn't agree more. There's far too many gamers who play as if they're watering the lawn. Rather lame to play w/o even trying to use some kind of skill. Its the sort of the same thing that bugs me about the helicopter and air strikes...although at least you earn those.

If you're dying from martyrdom, stop running up to bodies to collect their guns, or play on a server that bans it. Problem solved.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA

"evolved", LOL. Dead is dead.

i enjoy COD4 but its easy to just get mowed down by huge guns...and its worse in hardcore mode....so i feel like there is less skill envolved...again kinda alot of spray-and-pray...but much more tactical.

That can be a problem, but mainly in huge servers with 40 people all with LMGs. Some people like all that chaos, but there are many servers that outlaw LMGs or the grenade launchers (noobtubes).You just have a different style of play than the "run & gun" crowd, which is fine. Smaller servers and the right maps are what you want. Team work too. If you are going to snipe, its good not only to have claymores but someone watching the approach to your position. In the map Creek some guy walking with his heavy LMG in the creek bed is going to get his head popped off by a sniper on the hill.

also the perks can become annoying. for example "martyrdom" which is when a player dies they drop an active grenade...so you end up having to train yourself to kill and then run away as quickly as possible (which seems opposite from most multiplayer games...you kill and then run over to their dead body to retreive their weapons).

Some servers outlaw the perks martyrdom and last stand. But really once you've played awhile and become familiar with your weapons and style of play that you are comfortable with you don't often need to go run and pick up the enemies weapons and ammo. Martyrdom is not a big deal if you kill the guy from a distance. On the other hand, martyrdom can sometimes make those pesky knife in the back ninja wannabes think twice.:D

I think COD4 takes a little more time to get into than COD2. But any multiplayer game can be frustrating, until you learn the maps and get comfortable with the play.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.