Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbm248

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
I have a 3G and am jailbroken on 3.0 (or 3.0.1, definitely before the 3.1 update).
I have a windows computer.

Can I jailbreak to the new software (3.1.2)? How so? How about unlock? I am only interested in the unlock (or ability to unlock) for resale value, but I've read various threads that jailbreaking on 3.1.2 makes it impossible to later unlock. I want to be very careful with that since again, if/when I sell my phone, I want to unlock it and raise the value.

Also, what are some of the downsides to jailbreaking to the new software?

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Okay, stay on 3.0.X and DO NOT update through iTunes. Use Redsn0w to Jailabreak (that's a windows version). Now follow this tutorial (you can skip to step 3) and you'll be Jailbroken.

If you wanted to update to 3.1.X and still be unlocked, you would need a Mac or someone with a Mac to use PwnageTool to create a custom IPSW that does not contain a baseband update. If you could get a hold of one of those all you need to do is hold shift and click restore in iTunes, select the custom IPSW and restore to it. But make sure if someone gives you a custom IPSW it does NOT update the baseband.

Now to unlock, just follow this and you're done!

There are no downsides to jailbreaking. Some complain of shorter battery life and slowdown, but that depends on what you install. If you don't install anything, you'll be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.