Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
I am currently in the process of going to school for a bachelor's degree in computer engineering. I was wondering what my options are after i am done with this degree and what jobs i can pursue / post grad stuff? i am just a freshmen but i was wondering what my options are.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
i know that... i was wondering what my options were for post grad schooling. is it worth it without some experience first?

I wouldn't think too much about this until

1) you decide you actually will graduate with a computer engineering degree
2) determine what you want to do with your life
3) figure out if you like school or not

:)

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
i know that... i was wondering what my options were for post grad schooling. is it worth it without some experience first?

It can be, but some work experience might help you to either narrow your focus in grad school or change it altogether, since you'll be that much closer to knowing what you want to do with the rest of your life.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
It (grad school) also kind of depends on what you want... not 100% so much on what you actually get your degree in.

I know someone who majored in English but did all the pre-reqs for medical school. Went to medical school after undergrad, then immediately upon graduation with their MD, went straight to law school... never had any intention of practicing medicine, but instead wanted to go into malpractice law.

If you're into biology or maybe even modeling you could consider grad school in bioinformatics (what I'm doing now). Most people have no idea what it is when I tell them what program I'm in, I usually go with the standby of "computer science and genetics", but it's a wide open field so you can find your niche almost anywhere. Know someone who did his undergrad and Master's in Electrical Engineering before he went on to the MD/PhD program in bioinformatics at my school. While most go into academic or industrial research, a few from my program have (or want) to get into quantitative finance, work for Google on algorithm development, or Amazon.

I think with computer science you actually have a lot of options regarding post-graduate academic options... it really is going to depend on what you actually want out of it.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I am currently in the process of going to school for a bachelor's degree in computer engineering. I was wondering what my options are after i am done with this degree and what jobs i can pursue / post grad stuff? i am just a freshmen but i was wondering what my options are.

Well, out of school, you can work as either an engineer or a programmer. There are plusses and minuses to having a Comp E degree vs an EE or CS so if you want to work in industry, it's a good idea to know what industry you want to work in, what type of job you want to have, and what degrees they tend to hire.

Post grad licensing, you could go for a PE license. If you want to work for the government, that PE license is a big a deal. Same if you want to be a consultant down the line.

For grad school, you could get an MS or PHD in Engineering. Quite a few people stay within engineering but switch discplines or narrow their focus depending on what interests them or fits their career. You could also go the management route and get an MBA or an Engineering Management degree. You could also go to Law School and focus on something like Patent Law, which an engineering background primes you for. Or you could do Med School and either dump the engineering focus entirely, or be a non-practicing MD who uses his engineering background to do something useful in the Biomedical Engineering industry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.