What can I do if I can't upgrade MacBook Pro's ram past 8GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by astbn4, May 2, 2013.

1. astbn4, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

astbn4 macrumors newbie

I want to be able to use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Firework, and Illustrator with ease. Instead of spending over a thousand for an iMac, I can just upgrade my RAM, and attach an external monitor, and a portable hard drive to my 2010 13" MacBook Pro.

I just learned that my MacBook can only go up from 4GB to 8GB. Should I be concerned that it might not be enough? What are the other options?

Many thanks in advance.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

as far as ram, if 8 is the limit, not much you can do

The next upgrade may be an SSD to get a quicker "overall" feel of the system

3. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

Replaces the HDD with a SSD.

----------

beat me to it. lol

4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I think you'll be fine with 8GB using the tools you listed. If the hardware limits your ability to create, then you can look at options to free yourself of that limit.

I just read this about the base model 13" 2010 MBP:
    "*Originally, both the official and actual maximum RAM was 8 GB. However, as confirmed by site sponsor OWC, if running OS X 10.7.5 or higher, updated with the latest EFI, and equipped with proper specification memory modules, this model can support up to 16 GB of RAM."

So, maybe you're not limited to only 8GB. I know that I wish I had more than my measly 16GB in my laptop, but fortunately, it's only my mobile light-duty kit, and I have a robust system to do heavy lifting at home.

5. andy9l, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013

andy9l macrumors 68000

I've always wondered what people do on a MacBook Pro to fully utilise >16GB of memory in 2013? That's a genuine question, not trying to be sarcastic :)

As for the OP, 8GB will be more than enough to run those relatively lightweight programs. I use very similar tools (I'm a junior web/mobile app developer) on a 2010 27" iMac with 8GB RAM - I use Coda 2 over Dreamweaver, DW is horrible software! Of course, the other hardware in my machine will outperform yours, but purely from a memory usage perspective, it should perform nearly identically.

Memory is so cheap nowadays, it's almost worth you giving it a go...if it doesn't work out, you can look at other options without having lost much money at all.

Here's a good place to start looking, check your model number for the 16GB trick wonderspark mentioned: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3

That said, the best thing I ever did to my setup was put a SSD in my iMac. The performance jump was beyond anything I'd imagined.

Edit: With an external display plugged in, depending on resolution, your laptop will likely run hot. My 2009 15" really doesn't like using my 27" iMac as a display, especially not when using Photoshop. I'm waiting for the Haswell graphical performance/power usage improvements before replacing my MacBook for this very reason.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because we're not talking about 2013 models but a 2010 MBP that can only handle 8gb of ram.

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

And he wasn't talking about 2013 MBPs but the calendar year in which we are living.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're right but his point is moot because the OP's computer can only handle 8gb and that's was what I was saying

9. andy9l macrumors 68000

I wasn't asking the OP - I was asking the guy/girl I quoted who posted about their personal disappointment in only having 16GB RAM. No 2010 model was specified as I interpreted it. It was simply a topical question. Sorry...

My advice to the OP followed that question, after 'As for the OP[...]', with advice for a 2010 model based on the 2009 MBP and 2010 iMac I own.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

...Which is not true, as wonderspark just pointed out.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Refer to Everymac:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...o-2.4-aluminum-13-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.66-aluminum-13-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

EDIT:Sorry, didn't notice that this was already posted above.

Have you verified that 8GB is a bottleneck for your usage?

12. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

To be honest 16GB ram makes things more convenient for me, I don't need it but it is nice. 16GB ram along with an SSD allows me to run Windows in a Virtual Machine flawlessly as if it was my main OS. Of course I could restart and use Windows but that is Very very inconvenient.

I use Catia or SolidWorks and have a space just for windows running that with 4-6GB ram given to it. So while working it is very nice to have access to Pages/Mail/other mac apps and to all my files in general.

On Topic: As someone pointed out your macbook 'unofficially' supports 16GB.
    But you wont need that, just upgrade your SSD and you will notice a HUGE difference in overall speed.

13. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

No worries!

My use of Premiere and After Effects is mostly where I find all my RAM used up. I have the programs set to only use 12GB, leaving 4GB for other processes, just to keep it running smoothly. On my desktop (Mac Pro) I have 32GB, with said programs set to use up to 26GB, leaving 6GB free, and it works perfectly. With only 16GB, I get a lot of pageouts and swap usage. :(

So, if my 2012 15" cMBP ever finds a way to use 32GB, I will be among the first to swap that in!