What can I do to get rid of the color wheel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trlyka, Mar 2, 2015.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I have a late 2011 Pro. Lately I always get the color wheel when trying to navigate Safari. I don't know a lot about the Mac vs. Windows maintenance. I was wondering what I can do to check and see what's causing this. Or do I need to run a program to clean things up?

Thanks

2. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Could be a number of things. Check your Ram usage and if your using a lot of swap files. Also could be the sign of a bad hard drive. Maybe run some diagnostics other then AHT because it's terrible.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Sometimes

Just a repair disk permissions in disk utility will sort this out.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, in case you're unfamilair with repairing permissions. Using the Finder, go to your Applications Folder, then Utilities Finder, then start the Disk Utility Application.

[​IMG]

5. austinpike macrumors 6502

You probably have 3+ years of cookies, history, and temp files. First thing I would do is delete the cache files. Go to your desktop, hold down the option key, go up to the "Go" menu and open Library. (note Library only appears when you hold the option key.) In there go to Caches -> com.apple.Safari. Delete Cache.db, fsCachedData folder and Webpage Previews folder. On one of my older machine the Website Previews folder had thousands of files; just deleting that fixed Safari from being nearly unusable.

If that doesn't help you can try resetting. On Mavericks or below go to the Safari menu -> Reset Safari. (It will keep your bookmarks.) I'd start with just "Remove all website data" which will clear cookies (you will have to re-log into any websites you use) but you can check as many as you want to try. On Yosemite the only option is Safari -> Clear History and Website Data, choose Clear: All History.

You could also try downloading an alternate browser (Chrome or Firefox) - make sure that works OK.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

An even quicker way would be with Launchpad > Other > Disk Utility. Having to open apps from the Applications folder on pre-Lion systems is something that really bugs me.

7. TheMacNinja macrumors newbie

TheMacNinja

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't use the launch pad, so navigating to the proper location is what seemed best for me. I do not have the same level of emotion regarding how I start my apps :)

9. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

You didn't mention which version of OS X you're running. The recent versions seem to be designed for a SSD so spinning drives can be sluggish. First thing is to find where your bottlenecks are. Activity Monitor is the app to find that. Start it up and run your normal workflow. See what the memory pressure is or the page outs on older versions of OS X. If memory is ok then your drive is most likely the issue. It could also be a sign of a failing drive. Consider upgrading to a SSD. Best thing I ever did to my 2011 MBP.

10. redheeler, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

My suggestion has nothing to do with a "level of emotion". I simply like saving people's time, since for me Launchpad is a real time saver :)

Edit: Another way I often launch apps (I use this even more than Launchpad) is by hitting Command-Space to open Spotlight and typing the name of the app (in this case "Disk Utility"). Saves me a lot of time.

11. zyr123 macrumors 6502

12. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

16 GB of RAM won't help the OP if they're just using Safari.

13. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I never use Launchpad. I prefer using the Applications folder in the Dock.

----------

I do that often too but lately I have been clicking the spotlight button instead of command+space.

14. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ok…this is what I did so far, so let's see how this works. Thanks so much!

And thank you to everyone else :D

15. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

….On a side note, does anyone know why iPhoto never quits on it's own? I always have to Force Quit :rolleyes:

16. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Version 10.7.5

17. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I use Safari and iPhoto mostly. iPhoto never closes on its own. I always have to 'Force Quit'. I find the color wheel comes up the most when using my yahoo email. It's almost unusable and so annoying that I would prefer to use my iPhone 6, which also has performance issues, but reading email is easier. The web based yahoo email is terrible in itself without performance issues from my MBP.