What can I do to keep my iPhone logged in to hospital wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eyespii, Dec 10, 2010.

1. eyespii macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The hospital I work at has notoriously poor AT&T reception, but has wifi everywhere I go. The problem is, every time I put my iPhone to sleep and wake it up again, i get an annoying popup on my screen that asks me to "accept" the terms of their free wifi. Is there any way to just keep the iPhone connected via wifi even while asleep, or have the hospital wifi "remember" to keep my iPhone authorized?

Thanks!

2. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

sounds to me like this is more of an issue with the hospital system that apparently wants the confirmation of terms every time a device logs in. Is there someone in tech services there you can ask about this?

3. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

Its the hospitals system. They do it not to keep the wifi all tied up.

4. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Talk to your IT department and see if they can add your MAC address an an exception on the network. It's the same where I work, but employees can get their iPhones (and likely other smartphones) added to the exception list so that they don't get prompted every time to log in.

5. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

I have poor AT&T reception inside the hospital I work at as well.

I recommend talking to your IT department about that issue. I'm sure you're aware, but there are stiff privacy and legal issues that may not let you bypass a login or accept screen at a hospital.

6. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

Correct. Your servers keep refreshing the IP address. The Mac Address exception would work for this. That way you would never have to sign in again.

7. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

this is a two part issue

a) the iPhone will turn off it's wifi antenna in sleep mode
    b) network protocols

our old wifi network use to require a log in each time too , but now it stays logged unblock longer, but still requires a relogin I think every few hours

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Just for the records there is an App on the Jailbreak side that can keep your wife on even when the phone is on sleep mode so you don't get disconnected, as a trade off your battery life will suffer a bit, but not really anything big. Just an FYI

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

Great, my wife turns off all the time.

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Perhaps you should do the dishes more often or give her a backrub when you get home from work.

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

That's one of the best 'autocorrect' slip-ups I've seen in a while!

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Well you gotta turn her on:D

13. Scott90 macrumors 6502

Same thing here at school, except that it's only my iPhone 4 and not others'. Theirs work great, but I have to put in my username/password every time. Tried a restore from backup and a "reset all network settings", but didn't help. I don't want to lose all of my contacts, texts, etc. so a "complete" restore is really not an option for me.

14. deenybird macrumors regular

It would be great to get a solution to this.
    This is so ridiculous. There should be laws requiring 'open' networks to remain 'open'
    Let's hack the crap out of these guys please
    ...they make their lives easier by making our lives harder?... Not cool

15. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd