What can I do to put these guys out of business?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xraytech, Sep 21, 2011.

1. xraytech macrumors 68020

At Stoenstown Galleria Mall in San Francisco, there is a retail cart selling Jailbreak Services. I asked the dude working the cart,

"How much to Jailbreak an iPhone 4?"

The douche said $30.

$30 for something even the least tech savvy person can do for free, well maybe not the least tech savvy but you get what I'm saying.

What can I do to force these guys out of business and no, opening my own Jailbreaking service and charging $15 is not an option.

Also, just to get it out of our system.

"COOL STORY BRO!"

Now that we got that out of the way, let's take these guys down.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

I don't think there is anything you can do. Just like all the jailbreak unlock sites that rip people off.. For some people it's worth $20-$30 bucks to have somebody else do it.. just like guys that cut grass for a living. you could try talking to the management if they are paying rent I doubt it will work.. Many of us have made a few bucks jailbreaking for others. I have always told people they can do it for free. frankly I wish more people would learn about jailbreaking before doing it.. Or asking how do I jailbreak firmware ?.?.?

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

why are they a douches? I think the price is not huge and having a cart in the mall costs money... I see you would like to charge $15 for the same service if you wanted and isn't that still too much money based on your assumptions of easiness & knowledge of jb for the whole apple demographic of users... ;)

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Y u mad tho? Let the dude do his thang.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree. I don't see why the op is hating.
    They're providing a service and charge for it. To you it might not worth it but others would be willing to pay.
    Not everyone is tech savvy believe it or not.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

I think we only need to look at a few post to realize that! :p

7. xraytech thread starter macrumors 68020

Okay here we go. This is what I like. :D

Let's have a discussion.

The developers of what ever Jailbreak version have said in some shape or form to stay away from on-line pay for JB services. Just because it's a Brick & Mortar service does it make it more legit.

And discuss...

@labman Love your Aavatar ;)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They say not to waste your money to online places that sell their free programs and repackage them as theirs.
    These B&M places dont actually sell their freeware but actually do the work for you. The same way Best Buy would charge you $60 to install Microsoft office to your computer or to come your house and setup your wireless network.
    I dont think you're getting it.
    Its different a website selling you a download link and a step by step tutorial to do it your self at home. If you can follow that yourself you could probably search on google and find the programs and info on how to do it for free.
    Some people dont or cant do any of that so they rather have someone that knows what they're doing work on their phone.

9. BlaZeR420 macrumors member

If someone wants to pay me to jailbreak their phone, I'd take their green in a heartbeat.

Seeing that you're in Cali, I say you go California Old School on them and get picket signs that say "Vist www.------------.com to jailbreak your phone for free!"

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

that's not what they meant; they are speaking of people selling their free software like they made it and making people pay for it... which is different than people providing the service w/ free tools like these B&M. The B&M jb services are like installation services that you get from Best Buy for a price.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

been meaning to change it had it for a while. I'm a fan of the movie! just thought it was different.

12. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Are you maybe a bit jealous because you don't have your own Jailbreaking service to make some money on the side?

13. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

There's this place down the street from me where people bring their cars to get their oil changed. These jerks are charging these people to do it when they can just do it for free. I change my own oil so that must mean that everyone else that owns a car knows how to do so, right? I mean, there's no need for these guys to offer a service since everybody knows how to do it.:rolleyes:

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not sure why you care what they are doing :confused:

"Hey, lets close down QuickLube, they are charging to change your oil, and everybody knows you can get your own oil and do it yourself"

EDIT: see post above :p

15. james92se macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

..sorry, had to do it.

16. murdoc158 macrumors regular

http://www.cultofmac.com/89466/student-makes-50000-a-year-jailbreaking-iphones/

[​IMG]

17. SamS60R macrumors newbie

Good lord, what a drama... because of 30 bucks ? Ridiculous.