Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Hey everyone, I have a Performa 6360 sitting at home that I'd like to put to use. We bought it back in late 1995, I think it's running OS 7.5. I'm in college, it's back home, so I can't boot it up and see.

Also, does anyone know of the old Oregon Trail game we all used to play in elementary school? Is there a place we could download/buy it?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
You can download the original Oregon Trail from here. It has all kinds of classic Macintosh games for when you want a retro game fix. Only problem I've noticed is that Oregon Trail leaves my screen looking blurry for a while unless I restart a couple of times for whatever reason.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
You can download the original Oregon Trail from here. It has all kinds of classic Macintosh games for when you want a retro game fix. Only problem I've noticed is that Oregon Trail leaves my screen looking blurry for a while unless I restart a couple of times for whatever reason.

Hmm, thanks, by the way, I love your Avatar.

What's with the 6502, the 68000 and so on in the status line? I totally don't get that.....

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
They are old Apple processor models which are used on these forums as "status" symbols designating how much we post. You start as a newbie, then move up to member, then regular, and so on as you reach a certain number of posts. They really don't mean anything at all besides an ego boosting pissing contest. ;)

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
What's the order to them?
When do I get an avatar? 500 posts?
How can eventually become a moderator, just be extra helpful and a long time member?
Where's a good place to look for avatars?

I know this is off topic, but hey, it's my thread!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I have no clue how you become a moderator and I don't remember how many posts to get an avatar but I believe it is 500. I am not sure where you'd find an avatar, I just made mine like I am sure most people do. You could ask someone who has more artistic ability to make one for you, too, if you need help. That's about all I know on the subject.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
You could play classic games on it, set it up as a file server/firewall, turn it into an aquarium, try to upgrade it, try to sell it, or just keep it as a part of your collection to add to the decor of your room. Besides that, I am not sure. My first Mac was a PowerBook G3 I got in 1999 so I am not too familiar with the older stuff from Apple.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Try doing a search on here, asking someone else on this forum, or read a book at Barnes and Noble on it (that helps a lot for me). I am not too up to speed on networking beyond simple setup, so I am not sure what you'll have to do.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Try doing a search on here, asking someone else on this forum, or read a book at Barnes and Noble on it (that helps a lot for me). I am not too up to speed on networking beyond simple setup, so I am not sure what you'll have to do.

Ok, that's what I've been doing lately.

I'm going to Borders tomorrow.

I was just being lazy, hoping people would flock to the thread like flies to a windows recylce bin.

Heh heh heh.....:rolleyes:

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
So, does anyone reading this thread have any info on how I can turn my Performa 6360 into a file server or a firewall? I don't think the hard drive is that big.....what could I do?

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
The 6360 has IDE so You can replace the aging Hard Disk BUT You do not have PCi Slots so adding more than one ethernet card for a firewall is going to be hard and unless you have more older macs a file server would be pointless. I have a 6400/200 I use it to check my E-mail and play classic games The 6360 is the same logic board as the 6400 minus the PCI slots.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I think you can find a build of Linux that will crunch numbers pretty well on that machine. I don't really know anything about it, but someone once told me I could run Linux on and old LC and turn it into a web server. I just didn't want to put the research into it. I really should....

Dan

edit: this should get you started

Google: Linux Mac Performa

edit 2: you got me thinking about my old 7200 and now i'm making a linux server out of it. here's a link for YDL

Yellow Dog Linux

also, Debian 2.1 will run on 68k machines

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
THE 6360 does have a pci slot. don't run 9 on it its slow, run 8.6 if you can but 7.6.1 is ok. put more ram in it. (max 128), that things runs older games great and itll be a good mp3 server or a file server. I have no idea how to set it up as firewall....

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
They are old Apple processor models which are used on these forums as "status" symbols designating how much we post. You start as a newbie, then move up to member, then regular, and so on as you reach a certain number of posts. They really don't mean anything at all besides an ego boosting pissing contest. ;)

I'm just amazed that you managed to clock up over 2500 posts in just 6 months :eek:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by sethypoo
What's the order to them?
When do I get an avatar? 500 posts?
How can eventually become a moderator, just be extra helpful and a long time member?
Where's a good place to look for avatars?

I know this is off topic, but hey, it's my thread!

Don't fight with the demi-gods. :D That will help.

You should load Linux on the thing or you could do what I've done with my old Performa--put it in the other room with stuff stacked on top of it. :eek:

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by bousozoku
Don't fight with the demi-gods. :D That will help.

I am not afraid of demi-gods. You just have more posts, that doesn't make you better than me or anyone else on this site.

I wasn't fighting, to set the record straight,

I have a right to my opinion, IMHO, lol.

Ooook, let's let that horse die.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by sethypoo
I am not afraid of demi-gods. You just have more posts, that doesn't make you better than me or anyone else on this site.

I wasn't fighting, to set the record straight,

I have a right to my opinion, IMHO, lol.

Ooook, let's let that horse die.

Actually, for $20, you too could be a demi-god. It has nothing to do with post count. ;)

You didn't like my idea about stacking stuff on that Performa? It looks really, ummm, nice.

vannote

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2003
NYC
If you don't mind spending some dough

There is Sonnet Crescendo/L2 Upgrade that will turn your 160MHz PowerPC into a G3 at 400MHz. for $200, or 500MHz for $250.

You can then Max out the RAM and (as previously mentioned) drop your favorite Linux distro on it.

Should be more than capable for file/print serving if not only for novelty.

Tulsaboyw

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
old macs

If the mac is suffienctly old enough as it is in the case of my 6400.

Its much better to go buy mac than to upgrade the 6400.
And at least locally for me, its actually cheaper.

For me any & all upgdades are toward a goal of having os10.3x (10.4 really) at a minimum........anything less is a waste of my time & money.
10.4 is a rqmt for my client support that I do.

Due to that, the remaining goal is to 'network the mac' on my home net as a linux box. And prefereably only linux though currently its os922 & linux both.

If I could I would wipe my current setup and go 100% linux.

It comes down to costs for me.
I will likely buy a good enough mac to get 10.4 and be done with the need to upgrade...

When that happens this old 6400 will be either scrapped or fully linux'd.
Unlike most computer users, I dont bother keeping ancient equipment around unless there is a chance of collectable value..

Ie; I kept my old Apple I until I sold it for megabucks to a museum.
I sold it for 100 times what I paid for it too.

I also had a old "PET" turned into a fish tank.

Never do I keep old pc's or other (though I might keep the cards,etc..)

I never understand why somebody bothers keeping a dead pc (dead in capability or hardware) around collecting dust.
I for one dont have the space to do that.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
I am sure that the original poster will be very excited to see that you have posted your very informed opinion to aid in his situation...2 YEARS LATER!

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
topgunn said:
I am sure that the original poster will be very excited to see that you have posted your very informed opinion to aid in his situation...2 YEARS LATER!

Better late than never. :)

That said, If I had an old performa; I would install Doom 3. :D ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
dmw007 said:
Better late than never. :)

That said, If I had an old performa; I would install Doom 3. :D ;)

I don't think it would performa well, I'd stick to Doom 2, since even my old Quadra 610 could handle that OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.