What can I do with a satelite dish?

TiMacLover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2001
Clovis, CA USA
Mom shut our Dish TV off and now we have cable and they don't want the Dish back so its mine, what can I do with it? Anything like I can use It?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Kent, UK
you could stick in the garden, fill it with water, and leave it as a bird bath.

You could use it as a frisbee

Or, you could turn it into a star ship

There are endless uses for stuff like that.... :D :D

matznentosh

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2002
Use it as a sound collector to snoop on your neighbor's conversations. Any parabola will work.

BarneyR

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
Honolulu
Use the dish to extend Airport range!

TiMac Lover-

The dish can be used to extend the range of Airport wireless reception up to several miles! Go here for more info:

Practically Networked's page on Wireless Networking Reference - Antennas / Range Boosting

If you're at all handy with tools and curious, you (or a buddy) will soon be experimenting with extending the range of wireless transmissions. I assume from your handle that you have a Titanium Powerbook. If you have an Airport card installed in a TiBook, you know the range sucks and might be curious about what can be done about it. A PCMIA Orinoco card, possibly with a range extender is a practical way to boost your reception. But, heck, that dish can, under the right circumstances and with a little work, extend your range accross town! Though a Pringles can might be more portable!

If you're not interested yet, hold on to it. One of your buddies will be interested.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Dishnetwork or DirecTv?

I'm sure if you do some research on the net you can find some interesting uses for it.

;)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Use it as a salad bowl, or as a large dish for chips and dip. Use it as a large hat, for when it is really raining out there. You could also use it as the top section of a droid, if you are building one.

Otherwise, put an ad up and see if anyone wants to purchase it from you.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Do a solar barbicue grill!!!

When I was young I saw 3-2-1- Contact! and they took one of those things, put aluminum around it and in the middle they placed a chicken and it cook it!

The problem is that you can not do barbicue at night with it.

Or, you can dig a hole in your back yard, place the unit there, cover it up, and forget about it.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
This might be a little more practical than the earlier post, but you could sell it and keep the money. I'm sure someone might need a new one to replace one that got damaged?

I love those clips britboy, nice!