What can i do with an Original iMac before it goes to the recylcing place

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eric Lewis, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Well is there like some sweet mod? or thing I can do with an iMac from 1999..its so slow and old running 9.2 i have no space for it and no use..i have a 24'' imac,blackmacbook, g5powermac and a mac mini..so i have no use or space? i was going to take it apart? is there any danger to myself? and anything i can do with it? thanks

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Please don't take it to a dump. Look for a local computer recycling center and take it there instead. You won't even have to take it apart before you drop it off.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Considering you have 4 other macs, there probably isn't much use for a dedicated xxx since you're probably using other macs for things you need.

Disassembling anything with a CRT can be extremely dangerous.

I'd recycle it, or donate it. Any friends with little kids? I think the old iMacs, with their size and weight, make potentially good computers for rambunctious little kids who might be likely to destroy something like a laptop or current iMac.

4. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

And if none of those, you could put it on Craigslist. You might get $5 for it, or list it as free. I'm sure someone could make good use of it.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any "sweet" mods using an original iMac, though they are probably out there. The capacitor at the very back of a CRT's tube holds a hell of a charge, which can kill you. (reference 1) (reference 2)

5. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

well

how come on google and flickr etc...there is pictures of the iMac with nothing inside? and like they made cat beds etc? is there just a way to remove the iMac shell?

6. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

7. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

8. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I read a MacWorld a few years ago, where Aquariums could be made & all kinds of lamps & stuff. Might check their website. If you don't keep it donate it to a preschool or something.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You can speed it up by adding more RAM but please do not take it to the dump or turn it into an aquarium if it is still working, put it up on Craigslist or eBay and you may be able to get some money from it still.

10. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

im

i dont want the computer? its a piece of crap? and i cant sell it on ebay cause my rents already got scamed buying a powermac g4...we never got the computer? and the man shipped it so we lost 500bucks...but i already took off the casing and i have plans to make it into a small shelf type things...

and what preeschool is going to want a 8 year old computer with 4gig hard drive? its crap..it cant run tiger

11. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i took the computer parts to our city electronics recyle place where they took in the computer guts..like the crt,harddrive etc

12. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Sounds good. I'm sure there are all kinds of ideas out there...

I don't think preschoolers will really be all that upset if it doesn't run the latest and greatest. "Mommy, this isn't OS X Tiger. WTF?! It's a stinky-head." :p They often just need a beater that runs some basic games.

Right on. The working parts might get re-used, while the rest will stay out of our drinking water. Of course it might end up in India's or China's drinking water, but that's another story.

13. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

14. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

15. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam