What can I say to get apple to replace my launch day 128gb 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by enthawizeguy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. enthawizeguy macrumors 6502

well I have had problems with the 6+ 128 gb since I got it. I have been to lazy to get it replaced though. But now that the new one is coming out id like it fixed so I can get rid of it. I know it reboots a lot and sometimes there are issues with the head phone jack and possibly the camera. The bottom of the screen by the headphone jack has a small crack . I really don't wanna pay 130 to have the phone replaced but I spent 1000 on the phone so I'd like to be able to return some of my investment. Any suggestions guys ???

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it's cracked you will have to pay to get it replaced.
    Don't ask how to defraud Apple on giving you a free replacement for your user damaged device.
    Take responsibility and pay for your damages.

3. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I wish people would stop calling these phones investments. They are consumable items that depreciate more every day.

Like the above, just pay to get it fixed on sell it on Swappa's boneyard.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Tell them you wanna pay to get a replacement.

5. Applejuiced, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2015

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    A cellphone is not an investment.
    It's a depreciating asset/good.
    If youre looking for an investment look at real estate or stocks.
    A busted up phone is not it.

That's the thing.
    He doesn't want to pay:D

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Haha yea I know. Just telling him he should do the right thing. Next time he should be taking better care of his phone if he's planning on reselling.

7. iLuis macrumors member

Maybe iOS 9 will fix some of the errors that your phone have, bring it to the Apple Store so they can fix the camera. :)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think ios 9 will fix his cracked screen or damaged device.
    And Apple doesn't repair or replace iphones for free that have noticeable user damage.

9. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a full device replacement out of warranty is more in the neighborhood of $329, not $129.

10. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

What about ones that have been bent as a result of being stored in pockets?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's up to Apple on case by case.
    If you stick it in your back pocket and sit on it and crash, bend and crack it most likely you will have to pay.

12. enthawizeguy, Sep 14, 2015

enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Headphone jack should still work. The faulty 128 gb flash cards they used originally are not my fault so I'm entitled to one that works like my friends . I'm not defrauding anyone .

It shouldn't reboot multiple times a day. My friends 6 plus dont

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Take it to Apple and see what they can do for you.

14. eww7633 macrumors regular

Have you done any software troubleshooting?

15. aesc80, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

If you paid for AppleCare+ or had any other insurance policy, you wouldn't have to make up "something you can say to get Apple to replace" your phone - no matter if it's release day or not. That being said, just do what the others have said - go to Apple and plead mercy, I mean talk with them to see what can be done.

16. enthawizeguy, Sep 14, 2015

First off the screen is completely functional . I have updated the phone and had the problem with all os including iOS 9. I have apple care and it's never been used . I spent 5,000 at Apple this year . I will get it replaced . I expect a normal functioning product . Never mind guys I wasn't asking for your opinion on my ethics . I pay for something top of the line I expect top of the line end of story.

I am giving the phone to my dad who is handicapped and just spent 5 months in the hospital so it needs to be working because he can't go to the Apple Store and lives in a different state

17. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

First you want a return on your investment and now you are giving it to your handicapped father? Which is it? Or are you charging your sick father for your hand-me-down?

18. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

Ok so you have AppleCare,go in and pay the deductible like everyone else and you get a new phone. No one cares you spent 5,000 dollars at apple,this doesn't mean you get special treatment.

19. segrobja macrumors regular

Wow. The sense of entitlement in this post is ridiculous. You chose to buy a $1000 phone as an "investment". You chose to spend $5000 at Apple. Why should you be offered special treatment for these choices you made? And if you spent $1000 on your phone and dropped $5000 at Apple this year what's the issue with having to pay the deductible on the Apple Care?

20. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

THIS! Especially if there's a "small crack", reboots constantly, and has camera and headjack issues. Small cracks don't appear for no good reason. Sounds to me like this poor phone got dropped on solidly on its bottom.

And congrats on spending $5000 in one year with Apple. Another $100 won't hurt to get a fully fixed one so you can "can get rid of it" on your "handicapped dad" because "now that the new one is coming out id like it fixed" and "I'd like to be able to return some of my investment". "I'm entitled to one that works like my friends." Just ... yeah ...

21. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

BOOM

22. Azzin macrumors 68040

Try one of these:

Seriously, take it to Apple and let them inspect it and if you need to cough up the $, then pony up and learn the lessons not to be so lazy, to look after your phone and not to ask on an Apple forum how you can defraud Apple.

23. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

This thread is exhausting. Your phone is not an investment. You already damaged it. Take it to the Apple Store and complain about the reboots and the camera. If you go in saying you spend 5k so you should get special treatment you will fail and look like a pompous idiot. I don't care how much you spend. I spend a ton on Apple products and I am level headed about it. Chances are if you complain about the camera, reboots and battery they will swap it out.

24. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Even if you pay for a replacement, don't expect perfection. Especially this time of year when they are all refurbs, the replacement phones often have an issue or two of their own. It's a shame honestly and defeats some of the Apple Care peace of mind if you do have a real technical failure as many of us have had, you don't get the greatest replacement.

25. enthawizeguy, Sep 15, 2015

Thats what I am doing. I am not defrauding apple. All the first batch of 128 gb had faulty flash drives making them reboot often. I wasn't lazy. I had a case the whole year and its in near excellent condition except for a chip in the bottom left corner by the headphone jack.

I don't really care what you guys think . I probably should have taken time to write my first post properly but i was at work. Yeah getting rid of it is giving it to my dad who has a cracked 5. He cannot leave the house because he had pancreatic cancer and they screwed his surgery up and he spent 5 months in intensive care. There is no sense of entitlement. It is a customer service business and they will find a way to "work" with you. I don't need your opinions on what I am doing. If you don't like my post than don't waste your time responding.

and it is an investment because a 1000 dollar phone should work properly and for more than a year and after the year when i upgrade i should be able to hand it off to whoever i want especially since i just paid 500 dollars to own it from ATT.

"Following unconfirmed reports that an unknown portion of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus units with 128 gigabytes of storage exhibit random boot looping and unexpected crashes, Apple has reportedly switched to using a different type of NAND flash technology.
    The new iPhones use triple-level cell (TLC) NAND flash technology, but BusinessKorea reported Friday that the Cupertino firm will be switching to multi-level cell (MLC) NAND flash in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus going forward."

so please tell me how i am wrong for asking for a phone that doesn't crash. none of my iPhones crashed until this one.

The END