What can I use a Macbook 1.83 core duo and a G4 Powerbook 1.67 mhz for?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yoshiii335, Feb 23, 2015.

1. yoshiii335 macrumors newbie

Hello

What can I use a MacBook 1.83mhz core duo and a G4 Powermac 1.67mhz for now?

They are old.

2. entropi macrumors 6502

I use my old PowerBooks for simple webradio & iTunes audio playback. I also use my PowerBook G4 17" 1,67 Ghz for my canon flatbed scanner since canon stopped to update the driver after Tiger...

I will probably use my two old PB G4's once I decide to convert my library of CD's (in ALAC-form) to the more portable AAC. It takes a while but keeps my main mac free and ready to use for other stuff.

(but otherwise it almost starts getting to be a problem, my macs just keeps spinning and my collection of old, used & a bit slow but still mainly functioning macs just keeps growing... Got 6 macs right now.)

3. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

MacBook:
    Time Machine backup location for your other Mac(s)
    iTunes 'server' for streaming media to a TV, an Apple TV, other Macs, iPad, etc

PowerMac G4:
    space heater
    white noise generator
    Mailbox:
    [​IMG]
    running old Mac games

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Core Duo MacBook can run up to Snow Leopard. If you throw 2 GB of RAM in it and a good SATA SSD it will run great. It will be a fine machine for basic usage.

The PowerMac/Book is good for basic work that does not involve the internet. If you need it for the web then I recommend TenFourFox or Leopard WebKit. If this is a PowerBook as in laptop, and you don't want it anymore I will take it off your hands for fair market value. PM me if you want to get rid of it.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'd use the old MacBook for the stuff it was intended, it'll be fine on the net and for just about everything else.