What can we REALISTICALLY see at WWDC?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by -BigMac-, May 27, 2018.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 65816

-BigMac-

Hi guys,

This isn't another fantasy "what do you want to see" thread rather what can we REALISTICALLY see next week?

I think new Macs across the board with moderate performance increases? (nothing too revolutionary performance wise?)?

I believe the rumoured Bezeless iPad is too much of a stretch and is a bit enough deal to have its own Event later in the year?

With Apples announcements they "will be focusing on ironing out the bugs with Software", is there anything really fascinating which we can assume will happen with the new OS'?

Judging by my own "as realistic as can be" predictions, I personally am preparing for very little hype this year..

2. hank moody macrumors 6502a

hank moody

3. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 65816

-BigMac-

Hardware at last years WWDC: iMac Pro, iPad Pro and HomePod..

4. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I think this will be seen as a disappointing WWDC. Both macOS and iOS are rumored to be taking a step back from features this year and focusing on stability and bugs. Getting things working properly again. I doubt any significant iOS hardware. There is likely to be Macs, but I think they are not likely to be anything that will ease people's concerns with current Macs. I don't think this is a bad thing at all, but it does not feel like there will be anything to wow the media this time around. That has been the WWDC trajectory for a while now. It is after all a developer's conference.

My wildcard, and this is mostly wishful thinking, is that there will be something to go along with the HomePod and AirPlay 2. AirPlay 2 should be here soon, maybe at WWDC, and while I really enjoy the HomePod so far, there needs to be something cheaper to get more things ready for AirPlay 2. Airport Express-type device that was similar to a Chromecast, but actually reliable, would be fantastic.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Because Apple has never unveiled hardware at the DEVELOPERS conference ever :rolleyes:

OP - I do agree that it will be a relatively subdued release of iOS but I do think Apple will have at least one new feature to show off. With iOS I think they have to, it’s not like OSX where they can get away with minor updates. So I think we will see one or maybe two features.... systemwide dark mode perhaps?

6. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 65816

-BigMac-

I agree.. they will have to show something new with iOS surely..

The infamous dark mode - could it be the year? :eek:

7. Papanate macrumors 6502

Papanate

Tim Cook is going to announce his (forced) retirement - the Apple Board
    has had enough of his mistake and goof ball concepts - but instead of
    humiliating him they are going to allow him to step down gracefully.

Word is he is going to JC Penny.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

They’ve layed the groundwork for it with smart invert, and we’ve seen a lot of the big name apps add their own in-app dark mode so it’s very feasible.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Thanks to Intel's new Coffee Lake chips, we can expect two more cores across the iMac / MacBook Pro lineup. Suddenly the 13" MacBook Pro will be a quad-core and the 15" MacBook Pro + consumer-grade iMacs will be hex-core. That's a pretty big deal, and the chips have already launched, meaning they are (hopefully) a likely show at WWDC.

10. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 65816

-BigMac-

Would be a big upgrade for our friends on the forums itching for a mac upgrade.. would be substancial if they managed to introduce those changes. I think they are quite reasonable at this stage no? Thats pretty exciting I guess.. a 6 core MBP
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2018 ---
    I'm actually not sure - wasnt AirPlay2 announced at last years WWDC already?

11. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

It was, but is unreleased and currently in the 11.4 beta. All signs are pointing to its actual release in the next couple of weeks. Perhaps they highlight that and show new hardware that takes advantage of it. If not something of their own to compliment HomePod, then perhaps some third party stuff.

12. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

A boring iOS 12 announcement :(

Still waiting for a redesign.

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

14. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

I used to look forward to the release of new hardware, now I look more forward to WWDC and the weeks thereafter to see if the software has actually improved. I mean who cares about new iPhones and iPads if the software running on it is crap, like the past year.

As for what to expect; I expect for iOS not to suck compared to iOS 11, although that may be a big ask from Apple in 2018. It can’t be any worse though, right? I’ll just have to keep telling myself that until I get to try it out myself.

15. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Realistically? Some boring filler videos, developers talking about their apps that nobody gives a crap about, and previews of iOS 12, macOS 10.14, watchOS 12, and tvOS 12. Oh, and Tim Cook talking about Apple being at the intersection of technology and liberal arts.

Things that are reasonably likely to be spoken about: iCloud, security, privacy, performance, HomePod OS (idk what it’s called) Siri, and some kind of hardware.

16. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

audioOS. ;)

17. daveak macrumors regular

18. MandiMac macrumors 6502

It‘s gonna be interesting, because we know that macOS and iOS will stall for this year. Of course, stability and reliability are crucial and important, but you can talk only so much about stability. Either they take their sweet time detailing the changes between 11 and 12, or we get hit by unforeseen features. Or they slip in some hardware news, or there are many new APIs worthy of prime time. Anyway, stability isn‘t that sexy for a keynote, not even for developers. New features, new hardware, something completely new & fresh? It‘s gonna be interesting this year :)

19. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 65816

-BigMac-

Could be! Thatd be something courageous, no doubt

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That sounds right for dev conference, maybe APIs that can be used to ease certain constructions in apps that will make the watch or iPad use even more appealing. With demos. Split screen strategy games on an iPad... are there any? I'm not much of a gamer but the idea of having "two screens" to play with on one device has intrigued me every time I use a split screen for more conventional reasons.

My perennial wildcard is always that for once Apple will have managed to keep such a lid on the thing that no one has a clue about what will be presented and we'll all have our socks wowed off.

Just in case I'm wrong (again), I'm going to skip socks and wear sandals. :)

21. MrGuder macrumors 68020

If they release new Airpods can I take mine back to Apple that I just bought last month and get the new ones?

22. MandiMac macrumors 6502

Nope you can just enjoy your great product you‘ve already bought. Aren‘t you happy with them?

23. MrGuder macrumors 68020

No the sound level is too low when playing music on phone. It’s actually the same on my Mac mini connected watching you tube the volume is so low. On a volume bar anything from 0 to 50% is super low sounding. I have to move the slider bar to about 75% to hear music. I think it’s a software issue because when I take calls on it the volume is super loud at 50%

24. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

I'm excited to see how Apple addresses how much of a fail iOS 11 was, but I'm not ready for too many improvements with iOS 12.