What can you do on a 3G that you can't do on wifi only?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FloridaMac, Dec 13, 2010.

1. FloridaMac macrumors regular

I know this is a silly question. I know you can't get internet access if your not in a hotspot and you can't use GPS. Anything else? Can you watch movies, netflix, play games on a wifi only?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yes, you can definitely do all those things. There's nothing wifi can't do that 3G can, other than the two you mentioned.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The only difference is being able to access the internet away from wifi hotspots and lack of real GPS as you mentioned. That's it. Being an iPhone owner, I can say that that makes it infinitely more useful.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

It also obviously limits usability of certain GPS-enabled applications, like Star Walks (as just one example).

5. FloridaMac thread starter macrumors regular

If internet is the only big difference, and GPS, I'll just use my iphone 4 to access something on the web if I'm away from a hotspot. Mine would barely leave the house anyway.

6. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Speed for me. 3G is consistently faster than wifi at hotels and airports, somewhat 3-10 times faster. I travel a lot. First thong I do at a hotel is a speed test to determine if I'm going wifi or 3G. Wifi only wins at my house or office. Rarely at a hotel.

7. Jxo177 macrumors newbie

You can always jailbreak that iPhone and buy mywi. Now I always have a hotspot on me!

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

You are limited to some things in the iTunes Store that might require a wifi only connection to download.

9. Built macrumors 68020

3G all the way, baby...

It's the small things for me, such as, for example, being able to sit in a parking lot anywhere, far from any Wifi network, and being able to browse, shop, etc. The larger screen (than my iPhone 4) makes things like this much easier to accomplish.