What can you guys tell me about Knoxville TN

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OscarTheGrouch, Aug 18, 2008.

1. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

AS you all well know, I'm looking at options, and one of them that popped up recently was Knoxville TN as I know a few people there from my previous job (they were customers of mine, and i still keep in touch- networking FTW).

What is the cost of living like there? Where are decent places to live? Places to avoid? Decent schools (middle, elementary etc)? Taxes, and other costs up there. Is it true TN has no state income tax?

2. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Denny Crane macrumors member

Denny Crane

Knoxville is home to the University of Tennessee. Get ready for the most offensive shade or orange you have ever encountered for 11 out of 12 months of the year. And apparently UT folks like getting their corn from a jar...or at least that is how the song goes. Tennessee does not have a state income tax. I've never lived in Knoxville. I've only been there for football games.

It is close to Dollywood though.... :D

4. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I've been to Knoxville a few times. Its a smaller city than where I live and I would imagine the cost of living would be lower in there.

I've been looking at a whole bunch of other cities to move to when I graduate school and I found that this website gives some helpful information: http://www.city-data.com/city/Knoxville-Tennessee.html

5. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

I am from west TN, but I lived in Knoxville for awhile. Can't comment on cost of living, because I lived in a dorm. But it is a gorgeous place to live. I'm considering going back for my Ph.D.

Don't listen to D. Crane up there. It is the most fantastic shade of orange you'll ever see. And 11 months out of the year? Try all 12!;)

6. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

Well UT orange is a million times greater than CLEMSON Orange, which is the worlds ugliest shade- bar none.

I have no problem with UT people except when they play UGA or USC (thats U of South Carolina- the real USC)

Thanks for that website, I'll have to take a closer look at it. Anyone know where I should AVOID given that I have a wife and three kids.

7. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

Just get ready to lose to Florida almost every year. Actually, it's a pretty nice campus.