What car should I rent for my vacation in August?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steviem, Jul 31, 2011.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

So my wife and I are going to be taking a trip up to Vermont from NYC. We want to rent a car to try and stop her friend who we are visiting from having to drive us around.

Anyway, I've never driven the kind of distance in one go that we'll be doing, so what kind of car should I rent for the week? We don't really want to be held to the schedule of others either, so that's why we'll be driving.

Thanks!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Might as well use the opportunity to try something you think will be fun, or comfortable. A convertible might be nice, or a nice-sized SUV, or even a sports car if it's roomy enough.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The cheapest one. Not a big believer in wasting a lot of vacation dollars on a rental.
    I just booked a mid size using kayak.com, Orlando, 7 days, tax, fees, rental, $144.50

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

A large/expensive sedan will probably give you the most relaxing trip if you're not used to long highway trips. An econobox will certainly be cheaper overall, however you may find the ride and noise to be bothersome after hours behind the wheel.

All things considered, however, NYC -> Vermont isn't all that long of a drive. I did ~950 miles/16 hours total/14 hours driving all in one go earlier this month. I have three M's to a good road trip: Mindset, Music, Maps.

5. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

honestly, a descent mid-size car should be fine...descent gas mileage + enough room for most people (camry, malibu, take your pick)

6. StvenH90 macrumors regular

Personally, cheap mid size like everyone has stated. But that's because I drive a convertible everyday, so I am spoiled in that luxury. But if you never driven a great distance in a convertible. Rent one, it can be memorable.

7. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

Cool, I'll probably go with a standard or full-size car (convertibles are way too high), on Avis.com they are the same price for pre paying, Kayak seems to be too expensive at the moment. I rented a Toyota Matrix last weekend mainly to see if I could rent a car as I'm in a strange immigration status here (not yet a resident of USA but not going back to UK, so still classed as a UK resident), which was nice for local driving but I wouldn't have wanted to be in it too long. I get amazed when I visit a gas station with how cheap petrol is here though!

We live in a suburb, so having the car really made a difference, I'd love to just go out and buy a car, but not many insurers will touch me without an NY State license, or they'd charge silly rates on just a Focus.

Thanks for the ideas people :D

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just a point about having a car in NYC. If by NYC you mean Manhattan - parking is HELL. Even if you can find a space in a garage, it will cost you a fortune. And good luck parking on the street.:(

For what it's worth, when I go into NYC I take the train. I once drove my car in and it was horrible.:eek:

Also, getting around Manhattan in a car is terrible - public transportation (or cabs, if you can afford it) is the way to go.

Whatever you do - enjoy your vacation :D

9. Lord Blackadder, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Try a Mini. I recently rented one for a 600+ mile trip and it was great to drive with plenty roomy for 2 plus luggage (we actually had 4 plus luggage). It's an upmarket car but not a large or overly expensive one.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I always like to rent something I might consider buying as it gives me a good, long test drive.

11. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

Yeah, we're in Queens, not Manhattan. I would have no desire for a car if I lived in Manhattan and would be totally up for using Zipcar, but looking on their map, the nearest Zipcar is a bus and a 3 stop Subway ride from me, so a little bit pointless for me. Walking/Subway/Cabs is the best combination in Manhattan, for sure.

Minis are nice, I passed my UK driving test last year in one, and they have nice 6 speed gearboxes, are very nimble and kinda pokey. They're on my shortlist to buy, but probably wouldn't rent it as an automatic would spoil my enthusiasm for them...

We definitely will enjoy our vacation though, thanks :D

Nice idea about renting something you'd like to buy... I really like the look of the Dodge Charger, so hopefully that might be available.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I only drive manuals myself, but I was pleasantly surprised with the automatic in the Mini. It was not as intrusive into the driving experience as most auto-boxes, and complemented the good ride and precise handling.

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Ford Fiesta if you can find a rental place with them!

I drove one recently and it was an absolute pleasure.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Rent a Cooper then, and have fun while you drive.

It's a holiday, so make the most of it.

15. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger