What case provides the most protection without detracting from the screen's clarity?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anthrovisual, Mar 22, 2012.

1. anthrovisual macrumors regular

Following a different discussion, I am beginning to believe that the Otterbox Defender sacrifices the screen's clarity (creating a grainy sheen) to a point of making it not the best choice for those who want a balance between protection and function.

So I ask is there a case for the new iPad (3rd Generation) that gives the most protection without detracting function and keeps the screen looking great?

Options off the top of my head include Griffin Survivor and Gumdrop Drop Tech, the former seeming to have flap issues and the latter looks...different. But how are their screens? And are there other options?

2. KKSigs macrumors member

pop off the screen protector and then the otterbox defender is the way to go.

3. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

I believe the screen needs some sort of protection.

I have a friend with an iPhone 4S and the screen was scratched at some point.

With the amount of screen the iPad has, I'm going to risk it getting scratched.

I thought of putting a screen protector on the iPad then, cutting the screen protector out of the case, but I hear that the case cannot fit a thicker screen protector.

4. KKSigs macrumors member

I put a power support screen protector on it and popped out the screen protector on the otterbox. It's perfect

5. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

So the power support screen protector goes on the iPad and you took off the screen protector on the Otterbox case?

Can you take the case off the iPad after putting the screen protector on? I was hearing complaints that people put screen protectors on that get stuck to the Otterbox case (this might have been for the last Defender though).

6. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

7. ufgatorbait macrumors newbie

I guess I'm in the minority on the topic but I absolutely hate anything on my screen. The biggest wow factor for me for all apple products has been the "glide" and ease of use from a naked screen. I can't stand limiting this feature by putting on ghost armor or zagg types of products.

8. pdawg macrumors regular

Agree with you in theory, but then you get that scratch on the screen, which you have no idea how it happened. And you always know where it is. :eek:

9. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

Within a year, I may find myself in the Amazon jungle and Andes mountains, so I seriously need to have this device in some real protection and really did not want to sacrifice the screen's clarity. I prefer a case that fully encapsulates the device without sacrificing function.

I'm concerned about drops, scratches, and the elements. (And yes, the Otterbox has more openings than I expected, but the screen protector interfering with the image is really too much to accept)

Any ideas?

10. Perran macrumors newbie

I just received my Maroo case today and am very pleased with it. It is very protective, the screen is not interfered with, and the smart cover feature works. There are videos on youtube showing it thrown to the ground with no harm done. I got mine through CyberAcoustics.com, and they have an excellent video.

11. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

You don't need screen protection. Its tough and if you manage to scratch it then you're an idiot.

12. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I've had all 5 iPhones and all 3 versions of the iPad. I've never used a screen protector, and I've never had a scratch. I don't know what people are doing to scratch their screens. The only thing I've used to protect my iPad screen is the smart cover.

13. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I am using a Smart cover. Green with a white iPad (looks great).

14. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

I'm asking for a case that won't interfere with the screen's quality and will provide some protection from drops and dust/dirt/etc.

The smart cover isn't going to do any of that except protect the screen.

The Maroo case will not protect it from dust/etc. I need a tough rugged case.

Has anyone tried the Griffin Survivor on the new iPad (3rd Generation)? Does it interfere with screen quality?