What CEO in the US--has no computer or computer skills?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Phil in ocala, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

Look at Donald Trump's desk...pill of paper and NO computer...none.
    No one can send him a link to a site, or an email, or a picture.
    He wants all communication on 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper with pictures.
    This man will be 71 in June and never thought it was important to have
    computer skills....what kind of judgement does that reflect????????????

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

There has never been a computer on the desk of the oval office.

4. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

All Donnie needs is a pen to sign those EOs and he's good. :D

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

How did we go from "pill of paper and NO computer" to "never thought it was important to have computer skills"? This sounds like a troll post to me.

I'm not apologizing for the President, but I'm just fine without people sending him links to a site or an email or a picture when he's actually in the Oval Office working.

6. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I'm not understanding the relevance of computer skills for being President?

7. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Paper is much easier to shred - just ask the Clintons.

8. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

I'm sure there are plenty of CEOs who don't have computers on their desks, and/or are not highly proficient with them. Why should they be?

9. Bart Kela, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

Bart Kela Suspended

Bart Kela

Warren Buffett does not have computer at his work desk.

He's a smart guy. I'm sure he is well aware of how important computers are in many aspects of running a business and that computers have a wide range of uses and applications.

For Buffett, he apparently sees computers as an entertainment device for his own personal life. He apparently uses it for surfing the Internet.

Some of this is generational anyhow. If you are around the age bracket of the 45th President or the Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, you were already a man with your twenties behind you when the personal computer revolution came about, and past a half century when the World Wide Web started to become a thing. Buffett was getting senior citizen discounts in some situations before the iPhone was unveiled.

The next generation of CEOs will almost all be connected somehow but it is not surprising that POTUS or Buffett aren't typing their own e-mails or printing Excel reports.

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

It means that you don't have to have digital media to get your job done.

I knew a geologist who worked for Texaco. His job was to analyze and plot good drilling angles for various fields. He did it all by hand never using a computer and did a better job than the PC did. Not all work has to be digitally done.

Plus, as someone pointed out, there has never been a computer in the oval office.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

If he's going to be making laws regarding digital issues, then surely a level of computer skills are required.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Warren Buffet is one. I am sure that there are plenty that don't have one.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    That's why study groups, advisory committees, departments, and delegation in general exist. Does the POTUS need to know biochemistry to regulate GMO's? Does the POTUS need to be an MD to work out rules to regulate pharmaceuticals and hospitals? Does the POTUS need to be a car mechanic to regulate the auto industry?
    I mean ok, some experience would be nice, but let's not ask for something impossible.

13. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

When I look at the huge security issues German Bundestag has had with their network multiple times, it's probably not the worst idea to handle important and secret government documents on paper.

Trump's 70 years old, the majority of people in his age range are probably not using PCs.
    As a CEO with multiple assistants you should be able to work without a PC with no issues.
    Others are getting their mails forwarded, Trump's getting a printout on paper.
    Most CEOs are dictating short replies anyway and let their assistants do the exact phrasing and typing.

14. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

One thing that has been missed in this conversation that I just remembered. The Oval office is for show. The President has another office where the real work gets done. Memory fails me if it has a computer or not.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

The Treaty Room I believe. No idea if a computer is that... Long Live the Presidential Touchbar!!

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not true.

17. juanm, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

POTUS (and CEO) take decisions and let other people spend their time doing the actual research, writing, curating the briefs that will be presented to them, etc. I'd certainly prefer paper when it comes to reading important documentation.

Also, there's a thing called laptops, they can be moved around.

There are many (many!) bad things that can be said about Trump, this is not one of them.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Everyone needs to stop picking on Trump. He doesn't need a computer. He's got Barron to help him. He's very good at computers.

19. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Well, they managed to shred more than thirty thousand without much trouble.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

[​IMG]
    Bend down here so I can hit you because you don't have a computer at your desk.:rolleyes:

ETA: First picture didn't show for me.

21. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Obama didn't have one either. Next.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Look, he's the only one without a computer!

[​IMG]

23. DrewDaHilp1, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I want to say in the original they didn't blur out the picture of the compound. I could be wrong though. Time to search. Couldn't find the clear picture version, consider this a retraction.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I think that the first one that they released had the compound blurred, then they released another one without the blur. I don't think we ever saw what was on the screens.