Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unc32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I want a mini ipod. What color should I get. I am torn between silver and blue. Silver is the everyday color but it so boring. Everything is silver nowadays, my cell phone is silver. So I am thinking blue. It is handsome, stylish, and the white dial has a good contrast. That is unlike the silver. What do you think?

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I'd go for blue, even though it's the obvious choice. Blue is best, its handsome and stylish, and easy on the eyes.

Another idea is to get an iPod mini that matches your eyes (if applicable).

Or, throw in an extra $50 and get another 11GB of space with the 15GB iPod!

:)

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I'd say go with the silver.

A few months ago, I purchased a blue iSkin for my iPod, because I wanted a little change in my iPod life. After a few weeks, I discovered that I couldn't stand looking at a blue iPod. So, I stopped using the cover.

Personally, I think the silver iPod Mini is the best color. But that's just me. ;) :D

unc32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I have a blue iSkin for my 10gb ipod. Carolina Blue is a fantastic color but it could get old. I need to go to the apple store and see them all in person. Wonder how thick the coating is. With silver a scratch would barely be noticable but I don't know about the onther colors.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
I say save your money and get an ipod that's worth putting money on. $50 more and you get twice the ipod mini, even if you don't need that much space it's a waste of money to get ipod mini.

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
Is there an ETA when these will be for sale (Not pre order).

I'd probably like to pick up a green one, but I'd like to see them first. I have a 20gig, but I could use a smaller one. I keep about 8gig on my iPod, but I only listen to about 25% of the music on there anyway.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I just got back from the Apple Store at The Grove (Los Angeles). Not a single colored mini iPod on display. Only pictures on the walls. Shame shame.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by robotrenegade
I say save your money and get an ipod that's worth putting money on. $50 more and you get twice the ipod mini, even if you don't need that much space it's a waste of money to get ipod mini.

Your opinion, nothing more. Some people don't give a toss about capacity but are concerned with portability. The size of an iPod makes a huge difference when it's strapped to your arm.

Originally posted by Doctor Q
I just got back from the Apple Store at The Grove (Los Angeles). Not a single colored mini iPod on display. Only pictures on the walls. Shame shame.

Not really a surprise considering they're not shipping till next week and since they're selling so well they don't really need to make much of an effort.

Personally I'm getting a pink iPod mini, but both silver and blue are good colours, I'd go with blue.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
Your opinion, nothing more. Some people don't give a toss about capacity but are concerned with portability. The size of an iPod makes a huge difference when it's strapped to your arm.

Hahaha, it's not that much smaller. Plus 4Gb is about 120 CD's and most ppl have more then that.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Hahaha, it's not that much smaller. Plus 4Gb is about 120 CD's and most ppl have more then that.

I do not have 120 Cd's. Also, regarding the size difference. It may not be that much to you, but it is the difference in me taking one with me all the time instead of leaving it home. Different strokes for different folks. If you do not like them, do not buy one.
Back on topic. I was in the same boat as you, I ended up going with the silver. I am kind of regretting it. I say go blue, you only live once. :D

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
look at this pdf, print it, cut it out, and compare to a full size iPod. the mini is about the size of a T68i, minus some curves and some thickness.
And then look at the total volume. the regular iPod has a volume of 6.1008 cu. in. The mini has a volume of 3.6 cu. in. Just over half the volume of the 3G (that's the third different term I've used for it so far...). That's a significant reduction in size, not to mention it weighs 2 ounces less.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
just to add my 2 cents to the mini vs. regular price difference thing. i have 21 days of music in my iTunes Library, about 5 thousand songs. i own a 1st gen 5GB iPod, holds about 1,000 songs. i'd say i probably listen to 1/4 of what's in my iPod regularly. i honestly don't think i'd like to carry around my whole library with me at once. it's just too overwhelming and would be a waste for me. i actually tend to fill my iPod with Audiobooks rather than music anyway, good for the long train rides to work and when stuck in traffic. to me the storage cut is worth the tiny size and good looks of the mini. and when it does replace my old 5GB it will feel even that much smaller, my 5GB feels like a VCR in my pocket. i just don't see the need for 40GB of space in my pocket. i have a fast FireWire HD for that.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
I just got myself 15GB and i think its worth it.
I have 7 Gb of music. Right now I'm using 3.4GB on it. Another 2GB goes to transfering files from college to home and back. 4Gb would probably not cut it for me. But I guess colors really sell huh.

I have a g5, silver car and prefer grey clothing, so if I was to buy a mini, I'd go for silver one. Just to fit with the theme. But hey, it's just me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.