What Computer To Buy...

DocStone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Republic of Texas
Hey guys,

I have been a long time Mac user. (IIC) I currently use a 17" MBP and tragedy has struck.

The company that I work for has mandated that I can't use my personal computer at work anymore despite that I have been for 10 years. They have instructed me to buy a laptop and I am not allowed to buy a Mac. I can't even have a Mac with windows on it. It has to be a non-apple machine.

So, my question for you all is what should I buy? It needs to be fairly light and thin so I can carry it easily but I have huge hands, (I am 6'5") so one of those mini puters are too small.

I will use it for email and the basics. Thanks for your advice.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
The squaretrade survey puts ASus as #1 in reliability.

In my personal experience I like Dell and lenovo. Hp is the absolute worst

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
What sort of machine are you looking for? A workhorse, like the HP Envy? An ultraportable, like the Dell Adamo XPS? What price range? It's pretty tough to recommend a machine without any idea of price or intended use...

DocStone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Republic of Texas
What sort of machine are you looking for? A workhorse, like the HP Envy? An ultraportable, like the Dell Adamo XPS? What price range? It's pretty tough to recommend a machine without any idea of price or intended use...

I will use it for email and the basics. Thanks for your advice.
As far as the price, not too concerned. Just want the basics and light.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Dell studio laptops are about the size and weight of a mbp. Never used one. I have an Inspiron 6000 I bought in 2004 I just gave to my inlaws. It's running vista and I NSF ordered 2gb ram for it. My mom has a similar one with 2gb ram and vista and never complains. She's had hers since 2004.

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
seriously? you cant even use a mac with windows on it? I have to ask, who do you work for? Microsoft?? Sorry but thats a load of crap if they wont allow you to buy a mac and put windows on it. Asus, sony or Lenovo would be your best bet, aside from mac. if you get an HP, get one in the business class/section. Same with Dell. HP and Dell's home/home office products seem to break way to easily...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I have a Hp compaq 8510p business laptop. It sucks. I'll take a consumer Dell over it anyday. Support sucks as well and the 3 year warranty is worthless.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Commiserations. I sympathise (strongly) with you as I'm in a somewhat similar situation myself. Currently, my MBP is sitting (hardly used) in western Europe while I'm in the Caucasus on what was specified by my employers as a "Windows Only" work environment. Out here, I have two laptops - a small Toshiba supplied by my Govt (not bad, but equipped with Vista, unfortunately) and at my desk sits a HP laptop, supplied by the mission, about which the less said the better.

In the past, I have used (and owned) both a Toshiba (Satellite Pro) and then a Sony Vaio laptop, before I made the switch to Mac, and both were very good. The Sony Vaio can be small, stylish and neat (and very portable) but I have found that Toshiba in general make nice rugged machines, and are possibly more suited to your needs.

Cheers and good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.