What Computer To Buy...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DocStone, Dec 1, 2009.

1. DocStone macrumors regular

DocStone

Hey guys,

I have been a long time Mac user. (IIC) I currently use a 17" MBP and tragedy has struck.

The company that I work for has mandated that I can't use my personal computer at work anymore despite that I have been for 10 years. They have instructed me to buy a laptop and I am not allowed to buy a Mac. I can't even have a Mac with windows on it. It has to be a non-apple machine.

So, my question for you all is what should I buy? It needs to be fairly light and thin so I can carry it easily but I have huge hands, (I am 6'5") so one of those mini puters are too small.

I will use it for email and the basics. Thanks for your advice.

2. Scippy macrumors regular

Wow that sucks. :(

You could try a Sony Vaio or a Lenevo.

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

The squaretrade survey puts ASus as #1 in reliability.

In my personal experience I like Dell and lenovo. Hp is the absolute worst

4. DocStone thread starter macrumors regular

DocStone

Thanks all. Any idea for a ultra thin laptop?

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

What sort of machine are you looking for? A workhorse, like the HP Envy? An ultraportable, like the Dell Adamo XPS? What price range? It's pretty tough to recommend a machine without any idea of price or intended use...

6. DocStone thread starter macrumors regular

DocStone

As far as the price, not too concerned. Just want the basics and light.

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

Dell studio laptops are about the size and weight of a mbp. Never used one. I have an Inspiron 6000 I bought in 2004 I just gave to my inlaws. It's running vista and I NSF ordered 2gb ram for it. My mom has a similar one with 2gb ram and vista and never complains. She's had hers since 2004.

8. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

seriously? you cant even use a mac with windows on it? I have to ask, who do you work for? Microsoft?? Sorry but thats a load of crap if they wont allow you to buy a mac and put windows on it. Asus, sony or Lenovo would be your best bet, aside from mac. if you get an HP, get one in the business class/section. Same with Dell. HP and Dell's home/home office products seem to break way to easily...

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

I have a Hp compaq 8510p business laptop. It sucks. I'll take a consumer Dell over it anyday. Support sucks as well and the 3 year warranty is worthless.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

11. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Commiserations. I sympathise (strongly) with you as I'm in a somewhat similar situation myself. Currently, my MBP is sitting (hardly used) in western Europe while I'm in the Caucasus on what was specified by my employers as a "Windows Only" work environment. Out here, I have two laptops - a small Toshiba supplied by my Govt (not bad, but equipped with Vista, unfortunately) and at my desk sits a HP laptop, supplied by the mission, about which the less said the better.

In the past, I have used (and owned) both a Toshiba (Satellite Pro) and then a Sony Vaio laptop, before I made the switch to Mac, and both were very good. The Sony Vaio can be small, stylish and neat (and very portable) but I have found that Toshiba in general make nice rugged machines, and are possibly more suited to your needs.

Cheers and good luck