What Constitutes a Worthy Upgrade to Some of You?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fupresti, Mar 7, 2012.

1. fupresti macrumors regular

Forgive me if this thread is redundant, a quick scan didn't find any relevant topics.

I am seeing a lot of posts and some "pundits" on the web claim that the "New iPad" is just another minor update to a pre-existing iPad model. What constitutes a worthy upgrade? The screen alone seems to be groundbreaking and worthy of mention. I mean, what do you people want? Cold Fusion powered battery? Personal application recommendations from Kate Upton?

2. bjmach macrumors 6502

Imhappy with what they did today. I would of bought fr retina display alone. Kate upton recommendations would be nice too

3. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i upgrade on a yearly basis as long as there is at least 1 major change that improves how i use the device. things like faster cpu, faster gpu, more battery life, nicer form factor can usually be noticed immediately.

4. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it is a nice upgrade, but not enough for me to jump from an iPad 2. When there are apps that won't run on my device is when I upgrade.

5. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

Just the retina display alone is worth it. I am tired of the low resolution iPad 2, especially after using iPhone 4s.

6. AVInc macrumors member

1) USB support
    2) multiple user profiles so that my apps n data cannot be shared with someone else using the same iPad.
    3) solution to world peace.
    4) better speakers cuz I have to cup them with my palm to increase sound reaching me.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

Heres how I see it:

If a new product improves on existing features but doesn't do anything "new" then it isn't a major upgrade.

I know people right now are very angry over the differing opinions on this years update but someone with last years model might have a lesser "experience" but they arent really missing out on any key features or abilities. So while I'm buying 3 new iPads now, theres too much missing to make me feel that this is the product I want to keep for 2-3 years so I'll likely sell it next Febuary. And that's not the feeling you should have if a product is truly "worthy".

(Apologies to all I offended with my opinion.)

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm happy with the new iPad (or iPad third generation as it appears on my order confirmation) I am NOT happy with IOS5.1. Siri is still crippled in the UK, and it puzzles me why Apple can manage to get the entire USA on it's DB, but for some reason can't get a little island covered.

I'm starting to think it's a legal thing. As far as the iPad goes, apart from no 128GB model, I got what I expected and I'm happy.

9. Thedeathbear, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I guess I am all alone on my opinion. The screen seems pointless. The ipad isnt meant you be held inches from your face like an iphone. My ipad look great right now from about 20 inches away. The camera improved, but I use my iphone for a camera before that. The LTE is great, but I get by easily with 3G. For some, this is a great update. For me, I see no reason to upgrade. I just hope this is a sign that the next iphone gets LTE.

Edit: but I am glad this is being promoted the new iPad, not the iPad 3 or iPad HD. iPod touches aren't given a number. The iPads will just be known by generation. This is the 4th generation iPad and a 5th generation after that. Glad to see the number thing go. They need to do that with iPhones.

10. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

The new, high resolution display is awesome and groundbreaking for those of us who need to display lots of quantitative information. I am stunned that some reviewers are not deeply impressed by this. I guess it just goes to show how differently we all live.

11. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

A worthy upgrade in my opinion means important things in this upgrade that won't be/need to be upgraded for several years. They are also hardware upgrades that can't be solved by software.

Top 2
    High-res screen
    4G wireless

These two upgrades to the 2012 iPad will stay the same for at least the next 2-3 years based on current and known deployment of future technology.