Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I would like to know what is the Average Lifespan of a Brand New Retina Macbook Pro 15" the model with Dedicated Graphics Card with some moderate use (Not Heavy and Rough) e.g Extensive Internet Surfing, Moderate Gaming, a Little Less extensive but not Very Extensive Video Watching and Moderate rest other stuff. But If taken care properly like handled well. How much could it go on to Maximum in terms of Years ? I know it can till 5 Years but any guesses on what is the Maximum it can go beyond 5 Years.

varatep

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
My 12 year old HP laptop is still going strong... given you don't get any dud/bound to fail parts, you'll be fine.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
My 12 year old HP laptop is still going strong... given you don't get any dud/bound to fail parts, you'll be fine.

I had a SONY VAIO it gave up in 5 and Half Years had a Dedicated Graphics Card of 128 MB and I was told later by a Repair Technician that the Dedicated graphics Card since extensively used, worn out causing the display to stop working and Hence caused the demise of my beloved Sony Vaio. So 12 Years is just not little....It is way...way...too Exaggerated time frame. Don't think anything could go on till that long may be rare case like yours But in general not possible. Sounds Unbelievable ! Nope not possible c'mon 12 years ? You must be joking ??

kelon111

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2013
I had a SONY VAIO it gave up in 5 and Half Years had a Dedicated Graphics Card of 128 MB and I was told later by a Repair Technician that the Dedicated graphics Card since extensively used, worn out causing the display to stop working and Hence caused the demise of my beloved Sony Vaio. So 12 Years is just not little....It is way...way...too Exaggerated time frame. Don't think anything could go on till that long may be rare case like yours But in general not possible. Sounds Unbelievable ! Nope not possible c'mon 12 years ? You must be joking ??

New Macs are supposed to be replaced faster than the old ones. You'll feel like your current Mac is outdated probably before it dies and you will just buy a new one.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
New Macs are supposed to be replaced faster than the old ones. You'll feel like your current Mac is outdated probably before it dies and you will just buy a new one.

Yeah Only If I could do that ! I wish I can, but cannot ! On Buying a rMBP 15" with a Dedicated Graphics Card I intend to use it atleast for 6-7 Years...

disasterdrone

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2013
Yeah Only If I could do that ! I wish I can, but cannot ! On Buying a rMBP 15" with a Dedicated Graphics Card I intend to use it atleast for 6-7 Years...

Then get one of the older pre-retina machines. You will be able to keep it much longer.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I would like to know what is the Average Lifespan of a Brand New Retina Macbook Pro 15" the model with Dedicated Graphics Card with some moderate use (Not Heavy and Rough) e.g Extensive Internet Surfing, Moderate Gaming, a Little Less extensive but not Very Extensive Video Watching and Moderate rest other stuff. But If taken care properly like handled well. How much could it go on to Maximum in terms of Years ? I know it can till 5 Years but any guesses on what is the Maximum it can go beyond 5 Years.

Beyond 5 years, you still be able to do your internet surfing and video watching with a rMBP 2013. Even my 2010 15" MBP will do such tasks with easy in 5 years (it's upgraded with a very fast 500 gb SSD and 8 gb ram).

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Given that most dramatic failures of MBPs in the last years have been related to dedicated graphics, I feel that the model without dedicated graphics is a better candidate for lasting 6-7 years.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Given that most dramatic failures of MBPs in the last years have been related to dedicated graphics, I feel that the model without dedicated graphics is a better candidate for lasting 6-7 years.

The models with dGPUs have the exact same iGPU in them so it's a no-brainer to get both. If you have a problem with the dGPU you just run only on the iGPU which is what you would've been running on the whole time if you bought one without a dGPU.

To the OP, the 750m will be considered really slow in 5+ years. You probably won't be able to play the newest games, but everything else you talked about doing should be just fine.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012

Very...Very...Good Point...Kudos to you for having brought up this point. You are just reiterating what I heard somewhere else...And read at one another Forum that the Dedicated Graphics Card rMBP Model seem to be having some problems then the Integrated Graphics Card Model. The reason I am skeptical about buying a Dedicated Graphics Card Model is from my Personal experience with SONY VAIO machine it had a dedicated Graphics Card of 1GB and after a period of 5.5 Years the Dedicated GPU got worn out corrupting my display and the entire machine is now useless because of display not booting up looks like a piece of Junk now, to be thrown away. So I don't want the Dedicated graphics Card to be the same villain, culprit in my next 15" rMBP because of this one component I don't want the entire machine to suffer...Which makes me think I am thinking of an Upgrade from a 13" to a 15" should i go for a Dedicated GPU model or Integrated one...Can shell out money for either no problem. But I am hoping it to go on for at least more than 5+ Years.

Last edited:

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Very...Very...Good Point...Kudos to you for having brought up this point. You are just reiterating what I heard somewhere else...And read at one another Forum that the Dedicated Graphics Card rMBP Model seem to be having some problems then the Integrated Graphics Card Model. The reason I am skeptical about buying a Dedicated Graphics Card Model is from my Personal experience with SONY VAIO machine it had a dedicated Graphics Card of 1MB and after a period of 5.5 Years the Dedicated GPU got worn out corrupting my display and the entire machine is now useless because of display not booting up looks like a piece of Junk now, to be thrown away. So I don't want the Dedicated graphics Card to be the same villain, culprit in my next 15" rMBP because of this one component I don't want the entire machine to suffer...Which makes me think I am thinking of an Upgrade from a 13" to a 15" should i go for a Dedicated GPU model or Integrated one...Can shell out money for either no problem. But I am hoping it to go on for at least more than 5+ Years.

But the dGPU model has a iGPU too. Read my post right above yours, it shows the flaw in this logic.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
But the dGPU model has a iGPU too. Read my post right above yours, it shows the flaw in this logic.

Nah...Nah..You don't understand having only a Integrated GPU is not a problem but having a IGPU and in addition to that also a DGPU is a problem.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
The models with dGPUs have the exact same iGPU in them so it's a no-brainer to get both. If you have a problem with the dGPU you just run only on the iGPU which is what you would've been running on the whole time if you bought one without a dGPU.

Nope not necessarily like from my personal experience now the SONY VAIO Model that I have i have been told by the Repair Technician that it is the Graphics Card which is creating Junk Display and hence crashing my Windows on Boot up and not letting my Display Boot Up It just keeps showing Junk Characters !!

----------

How is it a problem?

Hows it is a problem, well, I am still investigating that..But this is the 2nd or 3rd time somebody has confirmed this. And I can also remotely relate to it from my Sony Vaio Experience...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have some Macs that never seem to fail (without 24/7 use); I've had ones that don't get used at all, but seem to fail all the time.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Nope not necessarily like from my personal experience now the SONY VAIO Model that I have i have been told by the Repair Technician that it is the Graphics Card which is creating Junk Display and hence crashing my Windows on Boot up and not letting my Display Boot Up It just keeps showing Junk Characters !!
You have personal experience with one laptop. That's not nearly a large enough sample size to draw any sort of meaningful inference.

simon48's logic is correct. In some cases, if one of your GPUs fails, you can force use of the other GPU.

There have been some quality control problems with past GPUs, but there's no particular reason to believe that the current generation of dGPUs are any more prone to fail than the iGPU.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
What could be the Lifespan of 15" rMBP Model with Dedicated Graphics Card ?

----------

Hows it is a problem, well, I am still investigating that..But this is the 2nd or 3rd time somebody has confirmed this. And I can also remotely relate to it from my Sony Vaio Experience...

Ok...

First, we are talking about Macs not PCs. Macs and PCs have different software for GPUs and displays, different logic boards and different GPU switching systems.

Second, that explanation from your technician makes no sense.

Third, I had a dying dGPU in my old MBP and the iGPU worked just fine.

Got links to your other "confirmations"?

Edit: ninja'd. At least I seem to have backup. :p

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Ok...

First, we are talking about Macs not PCs. Macs and PCs have different software for GPUs and displays, different logic boards and different GPU switching systems.

even the SONY VAIO I am talking about had a Dedicated NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD "Graphics Accelerator NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GT notebook graphics processing unit(GPU) Dedicated Video Memory 128MB"

Link : http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vgn-fz35gn

Second, that explanation from your technician makes no sense.

Came from an Authorised Sony Service Center !!

Third, I had a dying dGPU in my old MBP and the iGPU worked just fine.

This Above Model also had the same set up IGPU and DGPU still the Graphics Card Corrupted the entire display according to Sony Service Center !

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
What could be the Lifespan of 15" rMBP Model with Dedicated Graphics Card ?

even the SONY VAIO I am talking about had a Dedicated NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD "Graphics Accelerator NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GT notebook graphics processing unit(GPU) Dedicated Video Memory 128MB"

Link : http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vgn-fz35gn

Ok...? So...? What about it?

Came from an Authorised Sony Service Center !!

Again, we are talking about new Macs not old PCs. Also, that doesn't mean they had to know what they were talking about.

This Above Model also had the same set up IGPU and DGPU still the Graphics Card Corrupted the entire display according to Sony Service Center !

The same GPUs as what? And you don't even know what MBP I had. You can't "corrupt" a display, it's hardware. Also a GPU can't break a display.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

----------

Macs work differently. Windows requires both integrated and discrete graphics to operate, but a Mac doesn't.

I have a Dell Latitude with Intel HD 3000 and Nvidia NVS8800 GPUs, and even when the NVIDIA card is active, the Intel HD 3000 is still the card that's used to drive the display.

In Macs, only one card is used to drive the display. So if the discrete one fails, you still can work off the integrated one.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Same DGPU as in the same kind of set up a IGPU and DGPU ! Even if it is Mac the components can be he same If it is a mac...mac...that is from a OS point of view you can have the same hardware in PC and MACS aswell ? Right ?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Same DGPU as in the same kind of set up a IGPU and DGPU ! Even if it is Mac the components can be he same If it is a mac...mac...that is from a OS point of view you can have the same hardware in PC and MACS aswell ? Right ?

The hardware might be the same but so what? The way the OS handles things differently is good enough.

Let me put it this way. In OS X, if the dGPU craps out, at least it still can just work off the iGPU.

Unlike Windows.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Macs work differently. Windows requires both integrated and discrete graphics to operate, but a Mac doesn't.

In Macs, only one card is used to drive the display. So if the discrete one fails, you still can work off the integrated one.

That sums it all...That is Game...Set...and match... That is what I wanted to know !! But are you sure about this ? If DGPU fails IGPU can still drive the Display in a Mac ?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010

I have a Dell Latitude with Intel HD 3000 and Nvidia NVS8800 GPUs, and even when the NVIDIA card is active, the Intel HD 3000 is still the card that's used to drive the display.

This makes no sense and it's definitely not true anymore. Why would you have two GPUs if you can only use one? Have you never heard about Nvidia Optimus? It's a GPU switcher for Windows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus

If two computers both have a iGPU and a dGPU it doesn't necessarily mean they work the same (that's like saying you and I both have a left foot and a right foot so we must be identical). Like I said before, Macs and PCs switch GPUs differently. Yes, Macs and PCs share a lot of the same hardware, but not all of it. Macs have their own logic board for example.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
So how much truth is in this fact that in a rMBP Late 2013 DGPU model if the DGPU fails the Mac will still work ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.