What could I use to convert videos to play on a iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spoon man, Aug 16, 2007.

1. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

I have got a few video files left on my external hard drive and they will only work on a windows sys is there any application's that i can use to convert the file with out causeing any damage to the file its self ???

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You shouldn't need to convert anything. I've got thousands of videos in various formats, and they all play on my Mac, using VLC if nothing else will. What format are the videos? Just get VLC player and I'm sure it will play them.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What format are the video files, many will recommend isquint or its bigger brother visualhub. Or you could play them with something like the very versitle VLC.

4. filmgirl macrumors regular

What format are the files in? VLC should play almost anything, but if you want to use QuickTime, try downloading Perian (http://perian.org). If you need to play a WMV file, google Flip4Mac and download the free player.

5. spoon man thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoon man

the file was wmv i think i know it would only play on realplayer and not windows media player

6. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I just thought I'd resurrect this thread as it's pertinent to an issue I have.

I have a perfect quality WMV file that I would like to convert to .MOV or MPG4.

When I play the file on a windows laptop the file plays perfectly.

However when I try to convert it on my Mac using Flip4Mac or iSquint I keep getting jagged artifacts/image breakup (akin to a weak digital signal on your TV), when slides transition. Sound is fine, its just the video.

I tried playing it via VLC and got the same issue.

Does anyone know of a conversion utility that keeps the quality?

Vanilla

7. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Zamzar

It's brilliant. Converts media types as well as other file types, from your own files, and from URLs. It then sends you an email telling you your file was converted, with a link to retrieve the new file.

8. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

When I do need to convert something I use ffmpegX.