What defines your individuality?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ender land, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ender land macrumors 6502a

Something I have been pondering as of late is the question in the title - what is it that makes "me" me instead of someone who looks similar or who has similar beliefs, etc?

(note: I am intentionally not answering my thoughts on this in the OP because I am curious what other people think and would prefer to avoid any sort of 'bias' that results from me answering first)

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You are a sum of the neurological wiring and the experiences that fill that wiring. The hardware and the software, if you will, as we are on a computer forum. Nature, and nurture.

And OP, you SHOULD share your thoughts (unless you have none on the subject). Your views are no more or less likely to bias the discussion as the views of those who answer after you.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

5. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's "yam".

Attached Files:

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I am me. Anybody else who's me, raise my hand.

Nobody? K.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I call that a safe challenge.

Who, in their right mind, would admit to being you ..... except you?? :p

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Correction: including me.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Clearly it's which products you buy. Like me. I'm an individual because I prefer Pepsi to Coke, Mac to PC, and Canon to Nikon.

11. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

12. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I think you need to double-think about that :D

Attached Files:

13. ender land thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suppose I would put forward that your unique combination of beliefs are what defines your individuality. Everyone will see things from a slightly different paradigm, value things differently, and overall, have slightly different weights applied to all things in their life.

These are a result of a large variety of both controllable and uncontrollable circumstances throughout the course of your life.

14. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

1. how you dress
    2. body piercings and tatoos
    3. sexual orientation
    4. physical fitness/ physique
    5. income status
    ;)

15. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

My innate ability to resist group think, mob mentality, peer pressure or whatever you want to call it. I don't just dance to a different drummer, I beat my own drum. I'm unique, that's what make me me.

16. Bill McEnaney, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

Before you can experience anyone or anything, you must already exist. However many or however few times your brain has rewired, if you already exist, you're already distinguishable from everyone else.

Some naturalistic theories about personal identity have strange implications. Take Derek Parfit's theory that he describes in his book Reasons and Persons. Parfit thinks a person is something like a universal because he believes each person consists of a collection of beliefs, memories, thoughts, and so forth that you can represent in a human brain. A universal is a property that more than one person object can have at the same time. For Parfit, I would survive when a mad scientist copied that collection from my brain to another living human one. Each time anyone copied "me," I'd reincarnate. If he's right, then after my body died, I might even survive in a computer as either a process or as the contents of a file.

To help explain his point, Parfit does a thought experiment in that book that sounds something like this. A man lives on a spaceship, where he can transport himself Star-Trek-style to a planet. The traveler goes into the transporter, presses the "transport" button, hears a sound, and seemingly nothing else happens. He stays in the transporter.

"What went wrong?" he asks the transporter technician.

"I'm sorry." the technician replies. "I forgot to tell you that transporter broke. Here on the ship, you'll die in a few weeks, but on the planet, you'll survive 40 years.

The technician takes him to a microphone-equipped closed-circut television, where her talks with his clone(?) who could "reincarnate" each time he rode the transporter from the ship to the planet. Can you imagine how weird it would be to attend your previous body's wake?