What did I press to do this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i5taco, Sep 29, 2012.

1. i5taco macrumors newbie

Sometimes when I'm unlocking my iphone (passcode), I'll press/do something that turns the brightness all the way down until I lock it again where it returns to normal. I never know how I activate it, but I think I like the feature except for the fact I turn it on all the time. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

2. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Not sure, but i had a similar thing happen after ending a call yesterday, the screen brightness went very low and when i went into settings the brightness setting was at half?

I adjusted the slider and the screen went back to normal?

3. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

It's probably your auto-brightness. The lock screen will show the brightness that the slider is set to in the settings. But once you unlock your phone, the brightness will change to whatever light level the ambient light is sensed to be.

4. i5taco thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that I was in broad daylight so there was no reason for it to do this. As soon as I unlocked my phone, the brightness went to the lowest setting for some reason. I didn't have to manually adjust back to what it was. Simply locking it puts the brightness back to normal (which is at maximum).

The reason why I want to figure this out is a) I was jogging and needed to read an urgent email but upon unlocking the phone, the brightness went down and it made it very hard to read so I want to know exactly how to avoid this and b) it seems like a good feature to use at night.

I don't know how I did it or what triggers it.

5. Beelzbub macrumors regular

I have had the same thing happen several times and I don't know what causes it. My auto brightness is turned off too.

6. St8kout macrumors regular

Same thing happened to my iphone 4 the other day. Must be OS 6.

7. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

You didn't by any chance cover the ambient light sensor? I know it seems awkward to cover it when it's near the earspeaker, but that could explain the brightness going to the lowest setting when you'd unlock the phone.

8. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

It's io6 that causes it because my wife's 4S does it too.