What did Jesus say about foreigners?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DearthnVader, Mar 2, 2017.

1. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I have to admit, try as I may, I can't really understand the meaning Jesus was trying to convey from the following:

I've read most, if not all the translations, but I can't seem to completely rap my mind around it.

Of course one translation of "foreigners" is "aliens", so maybe if we could find some aliens to tax, we could be exempt, either that or fish have gold coins in their bellies.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I believe Jesus was saying "this is some really good hasheesh man, I've got like...super power or something". \joke

What relevance does a book of fairy tales have to do with immigration policy?

3. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Jesus? The man who was still living with his folks in his 30s? And believed his mom is a virgin? Great at parties and large gatherings though. The menu can use a bit of work. Yelp is not impressed :p

4. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Likely no worse than the fairy tales you allow your political leaders to tell you to believe in.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Pray, tell, who do you think are "my political leaders"? We have one corporate party (with two wings) in the USA, so please tell me whom I'm blindly following in your book?

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'm not sure which translation this is, but in the NKJV, the word "subjects" is "sons".

I'll have to confirm this in my study bible this evening, but I take this as a analogical lesson for Peter (and all of us). Basically, since we are children of God in the kingdom of heaven, we are similarly free from the penalty of sin, but we still avoid sinning to accomplish a higher purpose, which is to glorify God and attract people to Him.

So He's saying to Peter to pay the tax to serve a higher purpose...which is to avoid making enemies of the tax collectors so He can do what He cane to do.

At least that's how I understand it. I'm going to look at this more closely tonight.

7. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

From the sound of it, the atheists.

Jesus is my spiritual, political, and economic leader. I've seen what happens when the atheists take charge.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lol. Does he respond to your phone calls?

Good luck finding an atheist political leader....

I'm amazed you seem to think there is an organized atheist ideology, let alone someone that atheists in general follow?

9. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Maybe, but I tend to think is't more literal than that.

10. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Yup, so glad that the Roman Catholic church is no longer in charge.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I'll be honest I don't think the answers to modern problems can be found in stories from that period. The world is a very different place and only those with experience in the present have any hope of giving an answer to this.

12. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Atheist seem to be quite organized in their opposition to Gods they say don't exist.

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Let it go man.

“But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,”
    ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:44‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
    http://bible.com/114/mat.5.44.nkjv
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2017 ---
    You could be right. That was really just a first glance. I'm going to read this one more carefully. I'm always interested in questions like this.

14. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

If the world were a whole lot more spiritual, and a whole lot less material, I think we'd all be a lot better off.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Really? Where are the meetings? I haven't been contacted by anyone in this atheist cabal you seem to think exists.
    I can say I agree with this 100%, as long as that spirituality is not confined to one particular belief system. If I want to follow the flying spaghetti monster and you want to follow Jesus, so be it, as long as we aren't actively working to harm one another.

16. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I seem to notice most of atheist ire aimed at the very use of the word God, likely because they see all Religion as destructive to their own goals. Of course when we take into consideration the outcome of the great Godless societies and political leaders like Stalin and Mao, their vision of a Godless world is killing everyone who doesn't agree with them.

17. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Also, keep in mind that the government over Roman Judea during Jesus' ministry was not exactly one that a Christian would be in favor of living in, so we probably don't want to think too hard about how we can replicate their policies.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea, you're going to have to show some better reasoning than godless dictators = atheists support violent sociopaths.

I do disaster relief trips every year through a presbyterian church (gone on 6 of them so far). I laugh (personally to myself) at their beliefs in a diety, but if they're going to help me help others I'm more than willing to work with them. I don't care what religion someone is as long as they try to better the world for others (however comedic their ideology may be to me).

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I think you miss the difference between tribute and taxes. Taxes are mandatory payments by subjects. Tributes are optional bribes from foreigners. You don't pay taxes you WILL be imprisoned or killed. A foreigner doesn't offer tribute, he is safe so long as his country is more powerful than the country of the king demanding tribute.

Jesus is telling Pete to bribe the temple officials. We don't want temple guard meddling in our affairs.;) Especially not after the Man took a hickory stick to the money changers and animal brokers in the Temple.:oops::oops: Matthew 21:12-13

20. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Who was Jesus apposed to, the Romans, or the Pharisees?
    Interesting, yet Jesus doesn't tell Simon to take money from his own purse to pay the tribute, that's the part that is most confusing. Maybe I'm overthinking it, and Jesus just told him that, and miracled coins into the fish, and their is no deeper meaning to that part.

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'm not sure I understand the point of the question, but both to a certain extent, the Pharisees for their hypocrisy and the Roman government because of its lack of acknowledgement of God.

But the Bible clearly says government should be respected (Romans 13, Matthew 22). I wrestle with that one quite a bit.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I more curious about the 'gods' (plural) in the Old Testament that have somehow been mutated to 'angels' in some versions of the Bible. In any case, I imagine that Jesus would not approve of splitting up families.

I'm not religious, but parables can teach useful social lessons, and people are people (for instance, right now I can think of one person who seems like a modern version of a 'false prophet' *cough*). Still, any teaching tool can be used for both good and bad purposes.

23. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

24. DearthnVader, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017

DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

The point was, in Jesus's time, I don't think the Romans weren't really stopping anyone from worshiping God, they weren't setting up arbitrary rules about how to worship God, and taxes that must be paid to enter the Temple, and animals that must be purchased from them to give sacrifice.

I don't think Jesus really cared much about the Romans, I think he cared about removing the arbitrary rules and restrictions that removed, his people, from the love of God.
    So Jesus wouldn't approve of divorce?

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

To a degree I agree but it depends what type of spirituality IMO. I think greed and religion are the two biggest causes of wars and unrest in this world and I don't believe a person needs to be spiritual in order to be a good person. I'm not religious in the slightest and it hasn't prevented me developing into a good honest person and neither will it with my own children.

Some of the most judgemental and intolerant people I know claim to be christians and to me that just seems fake.