What did Tim Cook mean when he said "Proud to be gay"?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jdechko, Nov 10, 2014.

1. jdechko macrumors 68040

I've been thinking about this a lot since his open letter was published a few weeks ago, and I've had some thoughts bounce around in my head about this subject. So in all seriousness, what did Tim mean when he said he is proud to be gay? What is the gay pride parade about?

I'm straight, but I dont't say I'm proud to be straight. Similarly, I'm Caucasian, but I don't say I'm proud to be white. Saying either feels like I'm saying that I'm superior, which I'm not saying at all.

The conclusion that I've come up with is that he's really saying that he's not ashamed to be gay. Is that the same thing with gay pride parades? People saying they're not ashamed? Am I on the right track thinking that pride in this sense is the opposite of shame?

I'd really like some insight on this, either confirmation or correction, and possibly some serious dialog.

2. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

I think he meant "proud to be gay" as in "It's nothing to be ashamed of".

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yes. One of the ways society discourages behavior is to shame it. Undoing that conditioning requires undoing that shame. And the best way to undo shame for something is to take pride in it. Being straight hasn't been shamed, so there's no need to 'pride' it.

Saying you're proud of being white is saying your superior, because being white already has 'parity with normal' and doesn't need the boost. People who do tend to be disadvantaged in other ways (economic) and are looking to compensate.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Absolutely.

Yes.

Exactly. I even came to the same conclusion, in a very, very different context, when I was in grade school. If someone is trying to shame you or bully you for being who you are, you naturally stand up for yourself and say you are proud of it.

Some white people have argued in favor of "white pride" based on the same principle. At least they understand the principle, even if the "discrimination" they feel is usually just the erosion of white privilege.

5. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks. I specifically stayed away from using the word "normal" in my original post because I didn't want to imply that being of a different race or sexual orientation wasn't normal.

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

What did Tim Cook mean when he said "Proud to be gay"?

Yes, I was going to do the same then realized that the threat of abnormality is the key to shamming. So normality is the standard to which everyone is held, so normality is the umbrella that must be large enough for everyone.*

* there are still some for whom shame is appropriate

7. remmy macrumors 6502a

Think that is pretty much it.
    I think it was mostly aimed to help those who are gay but going through tough times because of some societies treatment of them.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

i think that this thread should be merged with the other one on the same topic.

"shame" is a psychological disorder. It was used to keep people controlled from the inside. It's part of the sciences on how to reign. The romans used religion to instill shame in people, because psychologically unstable people are more easy to govern.

Noone should be ashamed of the way they are. Making gay people feel ashamed makes matters worse.

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Who cares what he meant or what he does in the bedroom? Irrelevant.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Really? When was this?

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Honestly, does it really matter?

The man is gay. Leave him alone. He's happy being who he is, and you should be happy in who you are.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's bound to hit their sales in Uganda. They'll be beleaguered again before you know it.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

For example 342 A.D. in the Theodosian Code 9.7.6: "All persons who have the shameful custom of condemning a man's body, acting the part of a woman's to the sufferance of alien sex (for they appear not to be different from women), shall expiate a crime of this kind in avenging flames in the sight of the people."

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Such edicts would have to apply to a significant proportion of the population of they were to have any impact on governmental or church control. Anyway, Theodosius was a Spaniard...

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

He was a roman emperor:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodosius_I

16. Roric macrumors regular

I think the only person who can answer that is Mr. Cook himself and I highly doubt he will answer on this forum.

A big problem in society and in several of these threads in PRSI is people interpreting what someone said based on their own viewpoint and insisting that is what the original person meant when they said something, even if there is no evidence to support and evidence directly contradicting it.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Didn't stop him being Spanish.

The fact remains, the Romans could make little use of Christianity in governance because of the fractured and fractious nature of the early church. The ecumenical councils were very hard-fought confrontations between often irreconcilable creeds.

18. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, I cared enough to post the question. And I specifically asked about Tim Cook, but I was wondering what it meant to LGBT people in general.

The truth is, I wouldn't have cared enough to ask this question a few years ago. I used to have a really conservative view of things, and that included my personal views on homosexuality. I'd like to think that I've matured since then to the point where I actually care enough to understand someone else's views and even discuss a viewpoint that I'd not considered.

Yes, it makes no difference what one does in the privacy of their own home. I think everyone should have the right to be happy. I don't think my asking a question on here is interfering with anyone's right to privacy or happiness. I'm just looking to educate myself so that I can have a better understanding and ultimately be a better person for it.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think he meant that, as a gay person, he is better than his heterosexual brothers. :D

/end thread.

20. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Wasn't religion invented to control people?

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

He has a point. Dealing with women is no fun ...

22. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

A large portion of the population likes to demonize people for being gay, being proud to be gay means you don't let that crap get to you and you're proud to be yourself.

You being straight is really irrelevant. Of course you or I aren't "proud" to be straight, but we don't have to deal with the crap that gay people do.

----------

Yeah, no. Sorry if I didn't catch the sarcasm.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No. it was invented to fill the gaps.

24. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

It's pretty clear that Tim thinks he's above heterosexuals. Vanity just beaming from him, 24/7. The guy just never shuts up! I don't know how people put up with him.:rolleyes:

25. vega07 macrumors 65816

Seriously. Being gay allows me to never have to worry about pregnancy. I think that makes me superior. ;)