What did you think of the wrap up for Game Of Thrones

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Khalanad75, May 21, 2019.

?

What did you think of the wrap up for Game Of Thrones?

1. Loved it

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Was okay with it

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  3. Hated it

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

So in the GoT threads we keep seeing a lot of negativity, but I also know people who don't like something become the vocal focal point.

So in a poll, how did you feel about the wrap-up of Game of Thrones.

For myself, as someone who read the books as they came out, and books 1-3 probably around 9 times each, I am perfectly fine with how things wrapped up. I had little issues, but I can't say it was horrible.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

2/10. Whole season was a trainwreck to be honest. The only good thing to come out of it are the memes.

3. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I don't have the seething amount of hate and disappointment that other people seem to have. Yes I have many complaints that mirror other people's complaints, but they are minor and overshadowed by everything that was great. Overall, I enjoyed the last season.

I entered every single episode with anticipation, enjoyed every single episode thoroughly, enjoyed spectacular cinematography in every episode, felt emotional in every single episode, and felt cut off when every single episode ended. GoT is one of the top TV series of all time for me, from start to finish.

Specifically, the cinematography was phenomenal, the acting was fantastic, and production values remained incredible. As for story, the characters arcs all seemed reasonable and all came to a satisfactory conclusion for me. The end was poetic.

4. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

This season featured great acting, cinematography and special effects, but I feel like they heavily emphasized spectacle over story. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a spectacle and I don't really have an issue with the story they told the last season, it just all felt a little rushed. I think it would have been better if they had played this season out over 10 episodes... same incredible action sequences, just a little more time for character development, heavy political conversations and give the characters (and the audience) a little more time to mull over the consequences of their actions. Nothing ever felt rushed the first 6 seasons of the show so I think that is a big part of why this season felt off to many people.

5. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Yes, that's one of the many criticisms that I agree with. More than a little rushed I think.

Nevertheless, I deeply enjoyed every show and felt anticipation for the next. Now that it's over, I feel at a loss for what could replace it.

6. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

The Character Jon Snow got the short end of the stick as he went through all the trouble in defeating White Walkers. Yes I know Arya Stark defeated the Night King, but without Jon Snow that would never had happen. Jon even stepped down as King in order to do so, was the only one powerful enough stop Daenerys. I even contend Jon (who was the rightful heir in the 1st place) could had taken the throne without any trouble, but knew if he did that would be defeating the purpose of killing Daenerys. Only to be vanquished to the wall (which is probably not needed) and told he can't marry or have children.

7. kawalerzysta macrumors regular

kawalerzysta

As others have mentioned, I believe that if seasons 7 and 8 were 10 episodes each. If they did it, flow of the story would have been there. Rushing of the story took away some of enjoyment.

8. Stark3000 Suspended

Stark3000

I agree with most: this season felt rushed. I didn’t mind where the characters wound up, especially John and Ariya (so?). He was free to start a new life and she set off on a adventure to find herself and America.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

America? I’m pretty sure Westeros is fictional ;)

10. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Yes, clearly she is sailing to the Undying Lands.

11. Stark3000 Suspended

Stark3000

It’s been said that the lands that are known of in GoT represent Europe and Asia. Her sailing off to the new world would be like sailing to America. In other words, just kidding around.

12. Kata21 macrumors newbie

I agree with most of this season: feel the rush. This is my favorite movie. I have installed Netflix in mobidescargar to track

13. Nishant macrumors newbie

I agree with this. The season just felt so rushed. Previous seasons of GoT were always good at explanations/development. The last season was like we got the cliff notes version of the story.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Season 8 was 6 episodes, but a couple of episodes for that season were over an hour long. I agree that the story was rushed, but for GoT books readers it has been rushed since Season 2, however Season 8 was so shortened everyone noticed and safe to say most were not pleased with the compromises made, the character choices, and what they chose to display to wrap it up.

15. kawalerzysta macrumors regular

kawalerzysta

They got bullet points from GRRM, so I believe that books will end in similar fashion as show. Problem is that they went straight from point to point. They basically had no imagination to create their own narrative to connect points in way that would make sense an be satisfying.

16. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Somewhere between was ok with and hated. Watching it in it's own right, not holding it up to comparison with earlier seasons, it was pretty enjoyable, the acting was fantastic, the visuals, effects, cinematography were superb, the score was sublime.

I quite liked how they ended a lot of characters' storylines, Arya's in particular I liked more than I thought (I thought she'd either die or just be left in the background in Winterfell or something). I was happy with the Hound dying killing his brother which has been his driving goal throughout the series, and he got his moments with Arya and Sansa too which was nice. I am also one of [the few?] who was actually ok with Jaime's ending - it's always been the case that he knew what Cersei was but loved her anyway. His character arc IMO wasn't about 'redemption' or growth, but showing that he's always been more complicated than we saw in S1. Sam became Grand Maester which I liked, Brienne the LC of the kings guard which I thought was great, Pod gets knighted too which was a nice end for his character. I quite liked Sansa's ending as Queen in the North, though I didn't particularly care for how she was written most of the season.

Tyrion and Varys were frankly shells of their earlier selves (again this is in writing terms, all the actor's acting was as great as ever) Jon I honestly don't know why they bothered to bring back for all he actually did in S7 and S8 (I guess the fangirls would have rebelled if they'd left him dead?) and I do think he should have died by Drogon for Killing Dany (after all no good deed goes unpunished) but his ending was pretty good if you're a big fan of his character and I thought it was about as good as it could have been assuming he had to end the series alive. Never bee a huge fan of Bronn's character, nothing against the actor but just never been appealing to me. Kinda annoyed me he ended up on the small council (GRRM suggests this is 100% invention by the show as he was an unexpectedly popular character). Cersei's death was a bit 'meh' - I guess that's kind of the substance of GoT though, the big villain's don't necessarily go out with a big bang or huge battle. Tyrion's tears for his siblings after everything was still quite touching.

What I really didn't like was Daenerys' heel turn in the last couple of episodes - a lot of people bleat about 'foreshadowing' but at the end of the day foreshadowing isn't character development, and that's what we needed to believe this. Above all, the way it was done simply left her ending feeing so empty - if you are going to go into the episode accepting what her character has become, then you really have to already have severed any feelings beforehand, in which case her death is just flat and emotionless. If you can't accept her character's rapid 180, well it's just a disappointingly forced turn end of.

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

All, I can say is that if this is the ending GRRM thought of, he must be burned out. I’d highly recommend he watch the video posted here if he needs some excellent ideas for a super ending: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/game-of-thrones-hbo.1572329/page-79#post-27395208.

18. kawalerzysta macrumors regular

kawalerzysta

I think once he finishes books ending will be more satisfying since plots will be resolved and character progression will make sense.

19. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

If he finishes them.