What did you think of the wrap up for Game Of Thrones

What did you think of the wrap up for Game Of Thrones?

• Loved it

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Was okay with it

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Hated it

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
The scene where they chose the new king was probably the biggest joke I’ve seen in a while. Someone had posted the leaked notes on a discord I’m on before the show and I didn’t believe them, it was that stupid. Other than that I was ok with how most of the characters behaved. Season was definitely rushed based on all the blatant inconsistencies. (She just kind of forgot about the ships 😂😡)

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
via Reddit discussion...

It is indeed amazing how not "sticking the finish" ruined the series for me.

Here's one comment from the above linked Reddit thread:

"Essentially, not only was the ending rushed to hell in just 6 episodes, which only exacerbated all the pacing issues of the previous season, nearly everything that was covered was either incredibly anticlimatic, at odds with the rest of the show, or forced due to the little time they had left.
Let me give you an example. Since literally the first scene of the show, The Others, a supernatural, undead army from the far north, was built up to be the main threat. Several major characters had their arcs tied extremely heavily into the coming war, and the entire theme of the first seven seasons was "all our political conflicts are a game compared to the true threat on the horizon."
Then Season 8 came. After two episodes of buildup, The Others arrived, and in the span of a single episode, were completely, utterly destroyed. The two main characters linked to them: Jon Snow and Bran Stark, contributed almost nothing to the outcome.
Bran spends 6 seasons building up supernatural abilities as the arch enemy of the Night King, then uses none of them and instead acts as bait. Worse, they went for a "mothership" approach, with one stab single handedly ending an apocalyptic threat, by a character completely unrelated to The Others or that storyline.
It's the equivalent of Chewbacca arriving in Return of the Jedi, only to shoot Emperor Palpatine in the head, destroying The Empire instantly. Then it turns out Princess Leia is super evil and the final villain. "
That's just one example of the countless missteps in Season 8, and arguably not even the worst."

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
via Reddit discussion...

It is indeed amazing how not "sticking the finish" ruined the series for me.

Here's one comment from the above linked Reddit thread:

"Essentially, not only was the ending rushed to hell in just 6 episodes, which only exacerbated all the pacing issues of the previous season, nearly everything that was covered was either incredibly anticlimatic, at odds with the rest of the show, or forced due to the little time they had left.
Let me give you an example. Since literally the first scene of the show, The Others, a supernatural, undead army from the far north, was built up to be the main threat. Several major characters had their arcs tied extremely heavily into the coming war, and the entire theme of the first seven seasons was "all our political conflicts are a game compared to the true threat on the horizon."
Then Season 8 came. After two episodes of buildup, The Others arrived, and in the span of a single episode, were completely, utterly destroyed. The two main characters linked to them: Jon Snow and Bran Stark, contributed almost nothing to the outcome.
Bran spends 6 seasons building up supernatural abilities as the arch enemy of the Night King, then uses none of them and instead acts as bait. Worse, they went for a "mothership" approach, with one stab single handedly ending an apocalyptic threat, by a character completely unrelated to The Others or that storyline.
It's the equivalent of Chewbacca arriving in Return of the Jedi, only to shoot Emperor Palpatine in the head, destroying The Empire instantly. Then it turns out Princess Leia is super evil and the final villain. "
That's just one example of the countless missteps in Season 8, and arguably not even the worst."
Quite. The White Walkers were built up as the true threat of the series, they needed most of the episodes to actually wrap up in a big fantasy battle. Given the six episodes they had, I would have rather had 5 dealing with the WW/NK, Dany sacrificing herself to stop them if she had to go out, lots of impactful/ meaningful deaths written into the battle (everyone does their little bit to stop them).

Cersei could have been dealt with by Jaime as the very ending of the final show as prophesied; or even left on the throne to underline the no happy endings/ baddies don't necessarily get their comeuppance theme.

Reactions: bobob

Ruggy

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2017
Because I buy them on DVD I was well behind, consequently I made sure I didn't read anything anyone was saying about it in case it spoilt the plot. So anything about bad press coverage certainly didn't apply to me.
Then I decided to start again from the beginning and watch the whole thing through so I really got a feel for the story and could remember who was who and what was going on.
So, I really hated the last 3 or 4 episodes.
It wasn't so much what happened to the characters at the end- I didn't much care by that point- it was that so many people behaved out of character, the dialogue was poor and the story just became really silly.
It was laughable how stupid it became once the battle started.
It was all very ex machina as well- let's kill off the baddy without anyone really knowing anything about him, in a very simple way and everyone fall down dead (and disappear by the next morning by the way.)
And so on.
Very very poor and I feel sorry for the cast who were brilliant all the way through and must have hated it.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Because I buy them on DVD I was well behind, consequently I made sure I didn't read anything anyone was saying about it in case it spoilt the plot. So anything about bad press coverage certainly didn't apply to me.
Then I decided to start again from the beginning and watch the whole thing through so I really got a feel for the story and could remember who was who and what was going on.
So, I really hated the last 3 or 4 episodes.
It wasn't so much what happened to the characters at the end- I didn't much care by that point- it was that so many people behaved out of character, the dialogue was poor and the story just became really silly.
It was laughable how stupid it became once the battle started.
It was all very ex machina as well- let's kill off the baddy without anyone really knowing anything about him, in a very simple way and everyone fall down dead (and disappear by the next morning by the way.)
And so on.
Very very poor and I feel sorry for the cast who were brilliant all the way through and must have hated it.
The beginning of this video should make you laugh and this is how the series should of ended, much superior to how it actually did end: