What Display To Buy To Go With Macbook Pro (Graphic Designer)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. Funsocks, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Mr. Funsocks macrumors regular

Hi everyone, I'm a graphic designer and am looking to expand my screen real estate from my macbook pro's 15". I want a display that's minimum 20" and max 24"ish. I want as good of color accuracy as I can get. It can't be a TN display or have any color shifting. My budget is about $600. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

For your budget you are probably going to be looking at an Apple Cinema Display. NEC and Eizo displays start above that and while you can get IPS panels in Dell and HP displays for your budget you can't guarantee the panel type unless you are buying used.

3. Mr. Funsocks thread starter macrumors regular

Aren't the ACDs kind of outdated though? They haven't been updated in a few years. From what I've read they're not worth the money you pay for them.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Eizo have some nice s-vpa panels that aren't too expensive, the flexscan w2231 and w2431.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They aren't outdated in the sense that some people regard them. They fill a gap between displays aimed at consumers (Dell, Samsung) and those aimed at professionals where colour accuracy is important (NEC, Eizo).

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The ACD's are cheaper and pretty good at color accuracy. The thing is with ACD's, it's not "outdated" in the usual sense. It's outdated in specs, like slow response times (compared to even my display). BUT, the tft panel is one of excellent quality, just don't use it for FPS gaming. Casual gaming is fine, but anything with many frames per second, like FPS games will run a little slow as its response time is on the slow side.

7. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

look for a lacie used on ebay. they make some great monitors.

8. LinMac macrumors 65816

I'm not a big fan of most of the displays I see around today. They are lacking in color quality and I look at my monitor constantly throughout the day.

How does http://store.apple.com/us/product/F9178LL/A compare with regard to panel quality/monitor to other monitors?

9. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

This is a great question

I think this is a great question. I am also looking for a similar screen, somewhere in the 400-600 dollar range. Getting a larger screen is probably one of the best improvements you can make on your computer...

10. LinMac macrumors 65816

How would the ACD I linked to compare to a Samsung SyncMaster 226bw?

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

S-IPS ideally, PVA at the minimum. Do not get TN under any circumstances. You can find out the panel type of the monitor youre looking at by just typing the name of the monitor in google and adding S-IPS, the first results are usually from forums with people asking if that monitor is S-IPS. If the viewing angle is 178 degrees then it is likely an S-IPS but some manufacturers lie, if it is not 178 then it is not an S-IPS.

12. Mr. Funsocks thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm pretty sure that the ACDs are going to be updated soon so it'd be a shame to buy one and then have them updated. Is there any display I can get that's the same quality as an ACD but cheaper? Also if I got an ACD I could only get a 20" but I'd like to get a 24"...

13. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You could get something like a Dell 24" and a decent calibation device and see how it goes. Colour accurate / professional displays are more expensive than Apple's offerings, below Apple's offerings you are looking at consumer orientated displays.

14. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

well i'm no technophile when it comes to displays but i can tell you that working on a 23" ACD at home versus a 20" ACD at work is completely different and you'll be much more productive on a larger display. don't settle for a 20" and aim for the 24". it's totally worth it. keep an eye on dealmac for good deals on displays. many are well below your $600 budget.

don't settle for 20"!!!

15. raxafarian macrumors regular

A good panel is a good panel. I don't understand the comments that the ACD's are 'outdated'.

Sure, they've been out for awhile but what more do you want from them? They look good (both design and display) and they work. I don't need mine to have speakers or a coffee maker or any new gadgets :)

Whoops. I did just think of one update that would make sense. Change the backlight to led.

16. Mr. Funsocks thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help by the way. I'll look into all these links. So for sure get I-IPS panel?

17. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

get an apple cinema display. do not even look at other brands. you're a graphic designer, get the true color apple brand. i would highly recommend the 23" for the resolution. but if you're on a budget or if you think you'll be satisfied with the 20" resolution then go for it. you can check local classifieds for deals or buy refurb from apple. sometimes amazon.com has refurb/open box cinema displays for cheap. OR, education discount should save you some dough.

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You can get one of the 2005 Dell Ultrasharps on ebay for practically nothing. They are a bit better than the ACD's.

19. redmeister macrumors 6502

yea i always hear good things about dell ultrasharps or some samsungs. ACD look nice to me as well... but as you've mentioned they're a bit outdated, who knows if they'll ever refresh them haha

20. Mr. Funsocks thread starter macrumors regular

21. Mr. Funsocks thread starter macrumors regular

A 15" macbook pro can drive a 23" cinema display correct? Like if I wanted to run it in extended desktop mode.