What Display to go with the New MBP 17" 1920 by 1200 +?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by late show, Jan 9, 2009.

1. late show macrumors member

I am buying the new 17" MBP in 3 weeks, I would like to get a Display too. The 24" LED looks great but its the same 1920 by 1200 as the 17" is this good or bad? are MBP 17" supposed to go with the 24"? the apple site says esp/ designed for the Macbook (not Macbook Pro). Some how I feel like Im downsizing.

Should I wait for the new 30" LED Display? when is it coming out?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

1920x1200 is practically the 1080p resolution you'll find on HDTVs. That means the MBP's screen has more pixels per inch, but it's not like some 24-inch monitor is going to look awful. I think my 20-inch 1680x1050 looks pretty darn good, but I know how awesome 1920x1200 would be.

I heard that Dell was releasing an LED-backlit monitor soon -- I think Dell revealed it at CES. I still think the Apple monitors are too expensive, no matter how bright or whatever they are. I was looking at getting a Samsung 24-inch with a built-in HDTV tuner, but a lot of reviews said it wasn't bright enough.

Nobody really knows when the new 30-inch LED ACD is coming out, but I would assume it's coming this quarter. If the next Mac Pro update uses Mini DP, Apple would want to have those ginormous monitors available then.

In my opinion, just ask around -- like you're doing -- and see what others think. Check out CNet for reviews -- that's where I found the Samsung review -- and wait until you see something you like. Don't forget to shop around for prices.