What do Apple Watch owners think of theirs? (Might buy my first Watch)

SW3029

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
I've always thought the Apple Watch was a fairly pointless device considering I have my iPhone on me at all times. However, since the Series 5 came out and Apple has turned the Watch's focus to health features, it's been more appealing. I think I might buy the Series 6 this fall...my first Apple Watch.

One thing that's always turned me off about the Watch is it looks pretty thick/bulky. Does that thickness annoy current owners? Do you notice it on your wrist?

I also know it can track things like runs and active calories burnt, but does it offer built-in support...or support through 3rd party apps...for tracking other workout activities? For example, I'd love it if it (or an app for it) could count pushups as I do them or track how long I hold a plank, or keep track of my form as I'm doing squats and count my reps. Does anyone know if there are any apps that do that on the Watch?

Also, do you find you're taking your iPhone out of your pocket less now that you have an Apple Watch?

And I guess I'd also love to know what's the one most unexpected thing you found yourself loving about the device?

Thanks for any input!

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
My first smart watch was the original Samsung Galaxy Gear. Since I was a child I watched Inspector Gadget and envied Penny's computer watch. So once I read about it, I was pretty much looking forward to living the dream.

Since then, I have had the Gear 2, (the much improved version), the LG G Watch, G Watch Urbane, Moto 360 and various other Wear OS stuff (don't. they're garbage!)

I even had a stint with the round versions of the Samsung Watches. But I am the oddball and always preferred the square display over round. So to me the watch is like a modern Gear 2--the one I had years ago that was my favorite. Only unlike my Gear 2 it can do NFC payments, store far more music, has better voice control, and supports more remote control functions (namely, Roku and Apple TV) than the IR version on the Gear 2 did. My only gripe is that I miss how the Gear 2 had just one button--acted like that iconic Nokia Navi Key. It always irks me that Apple thought two buttons were needed, and one, the crown, can't even bring up control center or notification center nor can it select apps in the app list. It only seems good enough for scrolling and volume control. I'm always worried it's gonna catch on something, pop off and go bouncing away.

I never saw how it could ever be convenient to pull one's phone out to check the time. That seems so cumbersome if you wear tight pants. I've had my phone suddenly come out while I was yanking on it and go flying so many times I'd rather not repeat it anymore. I use my Watch also to avoid that phenomenon I see around me at any restaurant, family get together or even in line at grocery stores--everyone buried in their smartphone like some mindless zombie.

It's actually pretty thin on your wrist or at least mine. I grew up with the Casio G-shock and that defined thick. Want a real wart on your wrist? Try the Samsung Gear S3 Classic.

Reactions: rMBP2013

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Apple Watch thickness is generally the same or less than ordinary mechanical watches.

There are no automatic tracking for gym at the moment because there are no sensors to do that. You can manually input it though, using 3rd party apps.

Yes, if I don’t actually want to use iPhone it will stay in my pocket all day long. No need to pull it out just to check notifications. I even regularly use the watch to call someone now.

Strangely the most unexpected is I’m mainly using Siri on the watch now due to not having to say “Hey Siri” anymore. And I love checking in places through Swarm using Apple Watch, so I have records of where I’d been throughout the years.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
If there is no automatic tracking in gyms right now what's the point of the 'detect gym equipment' setting in the Watch app?

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I've had my AW 5 (44) for ten days now. It weighs next to nothing on my wrist and I don't really notice it.
While I also travel with my phone (my watch is not cellular) I use my watch for phone calls, messaging, shopping list, reminders, and Siri rather than my phone. My phone is in my pocket and it's just easier to use the watch.

It's not going to track the your number of push ups but the workout complication does track your time and HR. Not sure why you would need an app to count what can easily be done in your head.

I don't think there's any app in existence which will track whether your form is correct while doing any activity as that would require a second camera focused on you, then doing an analysis and sending feedback.

I didn't expect all the stats the health features make available, including HR variability, sinus rhythm, VO2 max, and ECG function. Those I really appreciate since I've been training for a specific sport over the winter. Lots of other health features are available using various apps. Just haven't downloaded any yet.

Still exploring all the neat things it can do and am sure I'll continue to be happily surprised.

rmw49

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
I always derided the Apple Watch when it first came out but, the instant I saw the photos of the 4, I wanted one. I bought the cellular option and it's been a boon. Everything done on the watch. Apple Pay, Shopping list, Messages, Reminders, Weather, Timer, Phone calls and exercise. I love that I can set an outdoor bike route and the GPS tracks the route and all details which are there to see on my iPhone when I get home. I bought the big aluminium version with a sports band and don't notice it's on my wrist. It makes me exercise even more to fill up, or double, my rings each day. I really can't say anything bad about it.

iFone88

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2018
I've been using an AW for about six weeks now - Started off with an S3 but switched to an S4 after a few weeks.

I love it - I definitely pick my phone up less - Especially at work and when out and about.

I've never really been once for excercise and activity tracking but am now hooked on it - Not so much as pushing to reach goals every day but more to see how active I have been etc.

I'm addicted to buying bands/straps (eBay knock offs than genuien) for it and change them almost daily.

Thickness isn't an issue - It's no thicker than your standard watch.

My main uses for the watch are interaction with notifications without having to use my phone all the time, activity tracking and telling the time, haha!

TheSkywalker77

macrumors demi-god
Sep 9, 2017
I absolutely adore my S3 watch. I do notice the occasional frame drop (mainly in the activity app while scrolling down) but other than that it’s a pretty solid watch. The thickness hasn’t bothered me much, only when I sleep and want to lay my wrist down on my bed do I notice it’s there. And the fitness tracking is incredibly addicting and somewhat motivating for me. Overall it’s a great watch and I’d recommend it to anyone who’s looking for a nice addition to their iPhone.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2018
I actually had a lot of the same thoughts you did and didn't get a watch until S3. The first week I almost returned it because it seemed too expensive when I could do most tasks on my phone. Now it's unthinkable not to have one. It's so convenient to have it for Apple Pay. If I get a text (which is a lot during the day) I can just glance down to see if it's important or not. I use my phone significantly less. The biggest surprise is how long I was sitting without getting up at work. The stand alerts were very eye opening.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I've had two AW's for 4 years. For me, tracking exercise is something I grew to really like and I am somewhat obsessive about it. I have an AW3 now, and the biggest issue is the failure to "tell" time. I would say 90% of the time when I look at the watch face, it's black. I do get an extra bit of exercise by poking the face with my nose while holding a plank. AW5 may help in this regard.

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2014
I never jumped on the AW bandwagon in all the years AW is out. I felt between my phone and iPad, it’s bit overkill like you.

But when my fitbit died on me after having it for 5 years, I decided to look into AW as I’ve gotten used to the daily steps count. But wanted AW due to their EKG, the fall notification and more health details. I love it!! Have AW 5 for 6 weeks now, and still learning about it.

I definitely use my phone less. And certainly pick it up far less.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Going to echo what most everyone else said.

Yes, think the AW is a pricey pointless device... until the S3 became the entry-level device in September. ;)

#1 and #2 reasons for the watch, for me, is the heart rate monitoring and fitness tracking. Was able to streamline my workout tracking by just using the watch vs multiple phone apps for different data. Anything else is a bonus for me.

The second screen aspect has been a boon, reduces the number of times I need to pull the phone from my pocket or can leave plugged into charger: notifications, audio controls, (and ditto) Apple Pay, weather, timer.

Lebherz27

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2016
Carmel, IN(north side of Indy)
Had a 3 and gave it away. Have a 5... meh. I like that it counts steps, pulse, and a quick check to see texts without pulling out my phone.

I always have my 11 Pro Max on me at all times so it is rather redundant. The battery life with everything turned on(it’s also cellular) is abysmal. 24 hours tops. Everything turned off... 2 days maybe. That’s on the latest update.

Do I regret my purchase??? It was an impulse buy.

Do I hate it.. no.

Do I wish I’d have purchased a Garmin Charlie Tactix instead for my uses. Absolutely.

Everyone has their own opinion.... Just like a you know what.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I have too many reasons to list here, but what I like most about the Apple Watch, is it’s a multi tool. You don’t have to use it just for ’one’ thing, when it can serve eight different purposes in completing smaller/itemized tasks. I think that’s why consumers like the Apple Watch, not necessarily just because it’s an extension of your iPhone, but it serves everybody differently.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Click to expand; Responses inline:
I've always thought the Apple Watch was a fairly pointless device considering I have my iPhone on me at all times. However, since the Series 5 came out and Apple has turned the Watch's focus to health features, it's been more appealing. I think I might buy the Series 6 this fall...my first Apple Watch.

- I love my watch. I’m on my 4th (S5 stainless steel currently). I’ve had one since the original first came out.

One thing that's always turned me off about the Watch is it looks pretty thick/bulky. Does that thickness annoy current owners? Do you notice it on your wrist?

- No. Not bulky at all. No heavier than a good mechanical stainless steel watch (and lighter than many, actually). If you’re not a watch-wearer to begin with, it might take some getting used to. If you’re a watch-wearer already, you’ll barely notice it.

I also know it can track things like runs and active calories burnt, but does it offer built-in support...or support through 3rd party apps...for tracking other workout activities? For example, I'd love it if it (or an app for it) could count pushups as I do them or track how long I hold a plank, or keep track of my form as I'm doing squats and count my reps. Does anyone know if there are any apps that do that on the Watch?

- It can track walks and runs based on time, heart rate and pace. Outdoors it’ll also use GPS to improve distance calculations. It can also track many other types of workouts, but they’re mostly based on calorie formulas using time and heart rate. There’s no sensors they can put on your wrist to count pushups or track your form, however. I don’t swim, so can’t comment on how swim tracking works.

Also, do you find you're taking your iPhone out of your pocket less now that you have an Apple Watch?

- Yes. I can see emails, notifications and messages coming in, then decide if they can wait or if they need attention (i.e., grabbing phone or iPad). I can also control my home automation from my watch, answer calls, keep handy notes, and more. Think of it as a second screen or a preview screen for your phone.

And I guess I'd also love to know what's the one most unexpected thing you found yourself loving about the device?

- I have the cellular model, so I can leave my phone behind if I’m running out for short errands, a morning jog/run through the neighborhood, leaving my desk at work for a while, etc., and not feel like I’m out of touch. I have a wife, three college-aged kids and elderly parents, so I don’t like to be unavailable.

Thanks for any input!

- One thing to keep in mind — the Apple Watch is an all-purpose smart watch. It does a lot of stuff, but it’s not a dedicated sports tracker, so there are things that something like a purpose-built Garmin GPS runners watch will do better than the Apple Watch. But of course those can’t do walking directions thru Apple Maps, show a video feed from your security cameras, pay for things with ApplePay, or send emojis to your kids.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
I love my Apple Watch, but I think it's good to warn people that after using one awhile it may ruin conventional watches (regular analog/digital or mechanical) for you. It certainly did for me.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
I love my Apple Watch, but I think it's good to warn people that after using one awhile it may ruin conventional watches (regular analog/digital or mechanical) for you. It certainly did for me.
100% agree. I have a beautiful stainless & gold Concord Submariner that I haven’t warn since the AW first came out 5 whatever years ago.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2018
Same, although I had stopped wearing watches and thought at one point I wouldn't go back to wearing one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.