What do I need to buy for international travel?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by abhefo, Apr 27, 2013.

  1. abhefo macrumors newbie

    Feb 4, 2013
    Hey, all. I'm going to be traveling from the United States to England this fall. The adapter stuff is way over my head. The package they sell on Apple includes chargers for many different countries, but I only need one for the UK.

    Can someone tell me specifically what I need to buy? I appreciate it! Thanks.
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6


    Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    just an adapter from US plugs to UK plugs as you already have the transformer

    Just get the thing at walmart for like 10 bucks
  3. ytk, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013

    ytk macrumors regular

    Jul 8, 2010
    What you want is a simple physical adapter, as opposed to a step-down transformer (the latter being a device that converts from 220 volts to 110 volts, whereas the adapter simply passes the higher voltage through to the device). There's no need to convert from 220 to 110, because your laptop power adapter (assuming it's the Apple OEM one) can handle any voltage worldwide. All you need is an adapter that allows you to physically plug your existing adapter into the wall in the UK. This one should do the trick.

    Note: Do NOT attempt to plug ANYTHING into this adapter unless you've verified that it can work on both 110 and 220 volts. Most laptop and phone chargers should be fine, but the way to verify is to check the adapter itself. If it says something like "100-240v, 50/60 Hz" you should be fine. If it only says "110v", you're liable to fry it very quickly.
  4. Shrink macrumors G3


    Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA
    I'm going to delete my post as it is sooo wrong.

    Just letting you know so you can edit your post, if you wish.:D
  5. Nermal Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Just confirming that a simple plug adapter is all you need; I've successfully used my US MBP in the UK with one :)
  6. abhefo thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks for the help! Follow up, if I were to buy an adaptor (or an extension like this, would I be able to buy a USB hub to charge all of my other devices?

    I'll also be bringing along my phone, 3DS, iPod, and one or two other things that charge through USB ports. Is it possible to fry them through a hub, or is it okay since the Macbook I'd be charging them through is already converted?


Share This Page