Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
What do I need to charge my iPod in Europe using a North American charger? Can I just use the charger that I have, or do I need to get some sort of adapter? If so, what adapter do I/should I get?

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Gary King said:
What do I need to charge my iPod in Europe using a North American charger? Can I just use the charger that I have, or do I need to get some sort of adapter? If so, what adapter do I/should I get?

I think Apple adapters are all 100-240V, 50-60Hz - which means, on the electric side, they should work as well in the US as in Europe -.
Now, you will need to change the physical plug part - and you might even already have a spare one in your drawers from some other device.

NB: There's no guarantee I'm right here, I hope you don't toast your iPod ! But the "100-240V, 50-60Hz" should be written on the adapter. I bought my own iPod in Tokyo, and use it in Europe (the Netherlands, which has the same plugs as all Western Europe at least).

Hope that helps... :rolleyes:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
a figure of 8 adapter designed for use in the country you are heading to.

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
aricher said:
The type of adapter you need depends on where in Europe you are. They sell cheap multi-country adapter packs at just about any Radio Shack. You could always buy Apple's version:

Apple World Travel Adapter Kit

I used the Apple ones before. They worked really well though I also was charging an iBook and was just moving my adapter between the two whenever I needed something charged.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Gary King said:

Just buy an adaptor for US to whatever Euro plug you need. You can pick them up at any airport/city that US citizens pass through and might need one.
Easiest way to do it - or see if anyone has a spare Apple adaptor for that country

pashazade

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Richmond, London, UK
Arnaud said:
I think Apple adapters are all 100-240V, 50-60Hz - which means, on the electric side, they should work as well in the US as in Europe -.
Now, you will need to change the physical plug part - and you might even already have a spare one in your drawers from some other device.

NB: There's no guarantee I'm right here, I hope you don't toast your iPod ! But the "100-240V, 50-60Hz" should be written on the adapter. I bought my own iPod in Tokyo, and use it in Europe (the Netherlands, which has the same plugs as all Western Europe at least).

Hope that helps... :rolleyes:

This is correct. I have used my iPod and PowerBook apdaptors in the UK, US and Europe. All I do is swap round the pin connectors. The actual adaptor remain the same.

If you check the world travellor kit you will see how this works.

If this is a one-off need you might want to check eBay to just get the 2 pin EU connector. If you are travelling to the UK as well you will need a 3 Pin UK connector.

On the other hand you could go for the standard travel plug but it won't be as slick :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.