What do I need to charge my iPod in Europe using a North American charger?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Gary King, Jul 6, 2006.

  1. Gary King macrumors 6502

    Jun 14, 2004
    What do I need to charge my iPod in Europe using a North American charger? Can I just use the charger that I have, or do I need to get some sort of adapter? If so, what adapter do I/should I get?
  2. aricher macrumors 68020


    Feb 20, 2004
    The type of adapter you need depends on where in Europe you are. They sell cheap multi-country adapter packs at just about any Radio Shack. You could always buy Apple's version:

    Apple World Travel Adapter Kit
  3. Arnaud macrumors 6502

    May 24, 2005
    The Moon
    I think Apple adapters are all 100-240V, 50-60Hz - which means, on the electric side, they should work as well in the US as in Europe -.
    Now, you will need to change the physical plug part - and you might even already have a spare one in your drawers from some other device.

    NB: There's no guarantee I'm right here, I hope you don't toast your iPod ! But the "100-240V, 50-60Hz" should be written on the adapter. I bought my own iPod in Tokyo, and use it in Europe (the Netherlands, which has the same plugs as all Western Europe at least).

    Hope that helps... :rolleyes:
  4. Mord macrumors G4


    Aug 24, 2003
    a figure of 8 adapter designed for use in the country you are heading to.
  5. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I used the Apple ones before. They worked really well though I also was charging an iBook and was just moving my adapter between the two whenever I needed something charged.
  6. Applespider macrumors G4


    Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Just buy an adaptor for US to whatever Euro plug you need. You can pick them up at any airport/city that US citizens pass through and might need one.
    Easiest way to do it - or see if anyone has a spare Apple adaptor for that country
  7. pashazade macrumors member

    Mar 5, 2004
    Richmond, London, UK
    This is correct. I have used my iPod and PowerBook apdaptors in the UK, US and Europe. All I do is swap round the pin connectors. The actual adaptor remain the same.

    If you check the world travellor kit you will see how this works.

    If this is a one-off need you might want to check eBay to just get the 2 pin EU connector. If you are travelling to the UK as well you will need a 3 Pin UK connector.

    On the other hand you could go for the standard travel plug but it won't be as slick :)

Share This Page