What do i need to download to back up contacts to google?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Apr 18, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted

If I use that back up some time to restore my contracts will it import all my emails addresses too? I just want an extra back up of my contacts in case of an emergency

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The danger using Google Contacts as a backup is if for some reason all your contacts were deleted from the Address Book, that would get synced to Google and they would be gone there too.

I would go to Google Mail and in settings export your contacts as a VCF file, then save that file somewhere safe. You can just email the file to yourself and save it that way.

3. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

From what I have tried before on my i4S, you can't sync your contacts to both gmail and iCloud, even if you connect to gmail via MS Exchange, like google teaches you to. ie, You can't have the same email addy or contact on both cloud servers. Correct me if I'm wrong or if that changed, but I tried before and I couldn't get it to work.

4. b24pgg macrumors 65816

You don't need to download anything. Here's a tutorial on how to sync iOS contacts with Google: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740
    Yes
    This isn't really accurate because of the Restore Contacts feature. Even if everything gets deleted, you can restore your Google contact list to the state it was in at any point within the past 30 days.

5. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted

On my phone or PC? Can VCf be uploaded to non-iPhones?

6. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted

I'm just curious best way to export my contacts

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You would need to do this (export) on a PC/Mac desktop browser. VCF is a standard and can be imported to many platforms.