What do I need to use my american MacBook, iPad, iPhone in Korea?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 212rikanmofo, Aug 15, 2014.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I will be traveling to Korea soon, and need to know exactly what type of adapter I need in order to have my devices safely work. I don't want to run the risk of frying anything. I heard Korea uses 220V and in the USA its 110V. Is there an adapter of some sort I can use? I don't want to spend an arm and leg for this. So if someone can recommend or point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. Madonepro macrumors regular

Madonepro

A plane ticket perhaps...

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Most modern products work with both voltages. Check the text on the power supplies; they'll list the supported voltage/Hz.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Most wal-warts now can use both 220V and 110V. It should say on the plug if it can. If your stuff is new within the last couple of years it should be able to handle the increased voltage. Then all you need is an adapter for the plug.

This website might be able to help you out.

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/AK/AK_EN_1_5_6.jsp

Enjoy your trip!

5. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, well i Have a 2009 Unibody MBP 17", and iPad 3rd Gen and iPhone 5, will this be compatible with the 220v in Korea when I use an adaptor?

6. malman89, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

malman89 macrumors 68000

Yes. Apple products have had universal chargers for ages. If you read the markings on your charger, it should say 100-240V. I had no issue with my 2006 MacBook and original iPod classic when I lived/traveled in Europe in 2009. All you need is a plug adapter. It seems like South Korea uses the EU plugs - http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/AK/AK_EN_1_5_6.jsp

And ignore the overpriced Apple travel set. Get the cheapest ones you can buy. All they are are caps that your charger plugs into to plug into the wall. Something like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007YKUWN4/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_iF47tb1VNYPEF or similar should do fine.

The only electronics you typically need to worry about are cheaper, regional products, especially with motors - hair dryers, fans, etc. I brought a $5 travel alarm clock, plugged it in, took a nap, and it didn't wake me up. Why? Because it fried, heh. Just had to use my phone from that point on. Which was always 5 hours behind the real time because I had no service in Europe (VZW) and only had no manual clock setting.

7. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

If in North Korea, computers can only access propaganda.

8. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

My my, what a creative, original and thoughtful post!

:rolleyes:

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Source for that sweeping assertion, please.

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD