What do I spend my last £85 on?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by frannbug, Jun 12, 2009.

1. frannbug macrumors member

Well I know there have been similar questions to this one; but most of them involve options I don't have.

I've been trying for ages to get all my media (including EyeTv and iTunes mainly) onto a network attached solution. The latest answer has been to buy a variety of large hard drives and replace my Belkin wireless-G router with an ADSL-Nation modem and an Apple AirPort Base Station. I gave up on the Go! Drive I had before because I seemed to be losing data.

However this would appear to have perhaps been the buzzy Toshiba 1tb drive I was keeping all my media on: having transferred to the AirPort BaseStation, I just managed a couple of days ago to copy all the media across to a new Verbatim drive before the Toshiba died a horrible death. So maybe the Go! Drive has life in it after all - and cost less than £30!

However I was determined my new drive wasn't going to fall into the hole the first one did, so I bought a different make (Verbatim); I formatted it with the Mac HFS system rather than the FAT32 one; and I attached it to Mac AirPort equipment this time, moving as far away from PC-land as possible!

Oh dear - I'm still having problems. The Verbatim drive is functioning much better than the Toshiba one did and nothing is going missing; but every time I try and listen to anything memory intensive the system goes down - last night with nothing more than an audio file. My Airport BaseStation stops emitting signals even though the green light is on and I have to go through a long and tedious process several times before I can get my network and internet connection back. This just isn't going to work.

So you can see I've thrown all sorts of money at this and I don't have the heart to ask hubby to let me use any more in that direction - all I have to play with is the refund of the Toshiba drive. Well, maybe I could expand it a bit with a gift from my Dad!

So can someone please help me stop digging and give me a solution here? What do I spend that last bit of money on that will produce the desired solution? Should I sell my Belkin router to increase my funds or could it be put to use as an extender for the living room? Should I (ghastly thought!) start all over again with the Go! Drive and a new FAT32 formatted drive and copy all the files across to it (knowing that Spotlight won't work with it then)? Or should I forget USB solutions and buy a proper, dedicated NAS drive and plug it into an Ethernet port on my BaseStation? I'm even wondering if there's such a thing as a FireWire to Ethernet adapter that could enable a FireWire Drive (Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus) to become NAS.

I'm sick to death of searching for answers; my head is swimming as you can tell from the length of this post! Can anyone help, please? :eek:

PS My computer is a Feb. 2007 17" MacBook Pro with 3Gb Ram and Leopard, in case that's relevant.

2. mac000 macrumors 6502a

3. frannbug thread starter macrumors member

I'm not in debt!
    But I do have a network that keeps crashing. I could save my money - but I'm losing a heck of a lot of time trying to refloat the network every couple of days! I need a solution! :(

4. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

So you have a usb drive hooked up to an extreme and you are having troubles with it crashing?

I'm using 2 1TB drives in a dual bay usb enclosure and an additional 500gig usb drive hooked up to my extreme and it works just fine. I wonder why you are having issues. Have you tried updating the firmware on the extreme to see if that helps? Do the drives work fine if you hook them directly to the computer?

5. frannbug thread starter macrumors member

It did seem to stop when I connected all my drives to my laptop's USB ports earlier and I had a couple of weeks of uninterrupted service.

However the same thing happened this morning when I hadn't even mounted the networked volumes - I was just using the internet. So maybe I was wrong to think the break in service was caused by overloading the AirPort's capabilities.

I have heard others say, however, that the AirPort Extreme Base Station was never intended to be used for streaming stuff, only for file backup.

And if it wasn't my overloading that caused the problem, why would my Base Station keep shutting down its signals? You get the green light, everything appears normal, yet Airport Utility can no longer find any equipment to hook up with. It's happening so frequently I've now written out a step by step set of instructions for getting back online (after one particular occasion took me two whole days of solid tinkering before I could get back online!).

Yes, I did update the firmware and then undid that because I couldn't get it working and I found a lot of people online were also having similar problems to me. Someone posted instructions for going back to the previous firmware upgrade, so I tried it and it worked… up to a point!