What do liberals/progressives hate most about conservatives?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I know this thread could get out of hand quickly but hopefully it can remain civil. So please try.

There are several things it could be, but I am just looking for what one conservative principal annoys you most. Maybe someone else could start one going the other way.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That I have to accept a law that I must follow that pushes their religion (Babtist) o to me (Presbyterian)! The Religious Right drives me up a wall!

3. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Shouldn't a better thread be "what do conservatives hate about liberals?" I think this board could use some introspection.

Just 10 mins ago I got accused of supporting a "racist" just because I liked a guys speech.

As long as it doesn't fit the agenda you get called names. Goes for both libs and conservatives, but for some liberals it's getting pretty bad.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

We have several members who do that all the time.

5. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Absolutely. Actually encouraged someone else to start it.

6. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Oh sorry I didn't see the last sentence of your post. Woops

7. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an idea what you are saying, but do you have any specific examples or experiences? Baptists and Presbyterians aren't all that far apart on the religious scale as a whole.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Hate them both. If you disagree with a liberal they will come up with some name for you (Racist, bigot, "Phobe" of some sort) and then label you as intellectually inferior. If you disagree with a conservative you aren't a patriot and want to see America erode into a 3rd world country.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then you are not a Presbyterian. :rolleyes:

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Widespread Anti-intellectualism and denial of widely accepted and well established scientific evidence that doesn't fit in with their agenda. Also the whole "we like small government but only when it's convenient for us" attitude. Just two things off the top of my head.

11. zioxide, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016

zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The fact that they complain about "Sharia law coming to the US" but are too dense to realize they basically want to implement the Christian version of the same damn thing. Sure, they don't want to behead people, but it's the same religiously-motivated "hate the gays, hate science, control women's vaginas" crap.

Denying science and claiming every scientific fact that goes against their preconceived "beliefs" as "liberal bias" is a close second.

What happened to the fiscal conservatives who stayed the **** out of people's private lives?

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

That they just don’t go well with anything. I’ve tried so many different wines, and the flavor just doesn’t mesh!

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I dislike the extreme ends of both parties, but to stay on topic with the question, A variety of things bug me about the right so it's quite difficult for me to list just one thing. Historically it has been their discrimination against gay people. They stupidly lost me as a voter decades ago over that issue. But they are beginning to get over that. So as we move forward I think my main beef with them will be the absolute willingness to obstruct and unwillingness to compromise.

While liberals can be subject to that as well, I think the right wing of the U.S. has taken it to a new art form. When they don't win the White House, they go into "burn it all down" mode or at least block everything in sight. To the point that they don't even approve of their own ideas or things they once cared about, all in an effort to obstruct. You know it's gotten bad when a person waits so long that they literally die while waiting for confirmation and when they won't even accept the President's invitation to come over and see a movie.

It's not even what the American people want. The average person who isn't an extremist understands that in a two party system some compromise must be made. But no. Right wing members of congress are so worried about appearances and being kicked out in the primaries that even a movie is a bridge too far much less legislation with the other party. Even governors are not exempt to this when an appearance with Obama after a disaster earned Chris Christie the scorn of his own party. Somehow we have allowed the extreme loudest voices to speak for everyone. We need to push back on that. Because this kind of stuff is ridiculous and prevents the country from getting stuff done:

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

can you please define "liberal OR conservative" for that matter? seems either one happens to be to the left or right depending on the issue at hand.

15. boast macrumors 65816

boast

As a secular conservative:

I believe it's that they believe their liberal ethics are superior and the only correct view. This creates a superiority complex within them. That is why you may see them use name calling like xenophobe, racist, etc... Their moral views deceive them into thinking they have somehow transcended conservatives who have not yet intellectually reached up to "their level."

Instead of accepting that people may have different views of how they want to be governed and how our society should be run, they mistake their ethical views to be superior because they are "intellectually higher." And because of media, mostly seeing very religious conservatives who rely on the Bible for everything, it plays perfectly into their ego.

16. chown33 macrumors 604

Stop wining.

17. HEK Suspended

HEK

Amen to that

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I dislike the self-serving self-righteous indignation that people on the right express about everything that smacks of what they imagine is change. But that's just me.

19. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Are you pretending every viewpoint is equally valid?

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I hate the way a reasonable view on Mac Rumors gets you labelled as a liberal (US version) despite many of us not actually being from the United States.

21. HEK Suspended

HEK

To conservative only view, is their view. Rational discussion is highly unlikely. There are a few exceptions. And facts, oh my god, do they hate facts. Unless they quote their own facts, conveniently leaving out the rest of the story. Basically no room for alternatives or compromise.

22. Robisan macrumors 6502

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As a former sane Republican, what drove me away is their complete and utter disdain of "others".

24. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Speaking for myself and not any group, the rise of anti-intellectualism among conservatives bothers me the most.

25. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm the only liberal in PSRI. Haven't noticed any conservatives here.