What do MBP owners/users think of the Macbook Air? Ever used one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jobsian, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes, I had one of the first with the SSD. Was great for certain things. But the 13" MBP is so much better in every area other than a 1 pound difference and fraction of an inch thickness that I could never recommend the current Air. I eventually found it too limiting. If the 13" MBP had been available then I would never have bought it.

4. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

And how does this question age, young Jessica?

5. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

Interesting, I take it you use your laptop for heavy tasks?

I myself can't understand why so many consider the Air is underpowered for their needs - do that many people really do a lot of video editing, or whose work incorporates vmware?

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the air an awsome machine, i have one now but am currently moving my stuff to my new AG 17"

the air cannot do certin tasks that the pro's can, one of its biggest faults in my opinion is the ethernet...it does not have any but comes with a usb to ethernet cable which is as slow as wireless.

the unit ran quite warm for me....55-60c under a light load which is far to hot and warm for me.

virtual machines are a joke on it...the ram is just to minmal for virtual machines. even a 512mb allocated xp machine slows it down and causes it to heat up substantially.

the unit was very light but just not worth the trade off.

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

It's not a matter of heavy processing. The Air now isn't as bad as the first one, but the original would spin up the fan and get hot just playing a quicktime movie. The Air originally had a better screen, but the new 13" MBP has as good or better screen now. The main limiting factor for me is screen size (13" and 1280x800 resolution). Give the MBP has an equal screen, is much faster, has more ports, is slightly heavier and thicker, but much cheaper is the tradeoff worth it for slightly less weight? To me the answer is no. It was a tougher choice before the 13" MBP, the 13" MB had no firewire, no SD slot and a worse screen. But that's changed. Limiting isn't only about CPU speed.

8. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

Hmm

The more I read views on the Air, the more I see discontent towards it mainly from those who use their computer within their profession.

Apart from the heavy gamer/video editor, there don't seem to be many hurdles to using the Air as your primary computer (as I intend to do, perhaps).

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the air is tough to use as a main machine,

there is only 1 usb port , 128gb of hdd space no optical drive.

if those dont bother you...it will work good as a main machine...mine was my main machine for a month and it worked well....but the performance and ram caught up with me.

also expect to have serious trouble with the wireless in it. it will never reconnect when you come out of sleep...which i really liked.

i still have the air...so ask me anything or if you want me to so some tests...i would be glad to....just ask.

MMM

10. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

Ok just to tow the thread back into congruence with this particular forum, I want MBP users to own up here.

The MBP is an absolutely fantastic machine, but do you ever in weaker moments go to the Apple online store, configure a new Macbook Air in every combination, youtube videos viewing it in every angle, pour 3lbs of sugar in a bag and lift it in one hand while lifting your mbp in your other and maybe go to your local Apple store and fondle it a bit, all in one big binge like a bullimic at a birthday.

Come on now, go and have a glass or two of red and then reply, I wanna hear all heart ;)

11. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

if what you mean is...

17" macbook pro features aside screen size in a 13" mba size...yes i would want it....

yes i love the air....i think all notebooks will be like it soon, but the fact is...its not up to everybody's task.

for you it sounds like you want it....so do it...its a great machine.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When the MBA first came out, I thought it was a great design and computer but the more I think about it, the more I wonder why someone would buy the MBA instead of a 13" MBP. The size is nearly identical, but for less money you get a faster computer, more ports, and an optical drive.

13. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

For what im doing about 70% of the time, it would suit my needs fine, Listening to Music, MSN, Internet, Youtube etc.

But for the heavy lifting i do, it couldnt cut it.

When i get a Mac Pro, a MBA is a viable idea, i only do intensive work at a desk anyway, so it would suit me perfectly.

14. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Already done that. Like I said had one of the first. I think I'm still the highest ranked poster on the Apple MBA forum.

All laptops are about tradeoffs. When the original came out my main issues were needing more onboard storage and a bigger screen. Now the 13" MBP is so good I wouldn't consider an Air.

Here's some tradeoffs to think about:

1.) I need more storage. I hookup a USB drive. Oops need to get stuff off a DVD. Oops only one USB port. And a DVD drive that won't work on most hubs. Can't do it Charlie. Best case copy off internal drive to external drive, copy DVD to internal drive, Copy data to external and copy original data back to internal. Sound like fun?

2.) The advantage of lighter weight is using it everywhere. The curved bottom of the Air looks nice but is a disaster on a soft surface, like a bed or couch. The vents gets blocked and it's overheat city. The vents in the hinge of any MBP don't get blocked. The bottom will get hot but it's hard to overheat in normal use, not so with the Air.

I could go on for a few more, but hopefully you get the point. I like the "concept" of the Air. I don't like the tradeoffs the current implementation offers compared to the MBP. I don't need a glass of wine to think about this. I've lived this already.

15. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

The Macbook Air is too expensive and underpowered. $1500 for a computer that is only feasible to do office work and web surfing? Kinda lame in my opinion.

16. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

underpowered for what?

you have obviously never owned one....

they work great for all kinds of things...you cant go an say its underpowered....

this machine works great for lots of tasks....photoshop cs4 , vector works , mail , web surfing , hd video.

virtual machines are only downfall on it.

dont bother calling it underpowered unless you plan on researching it first....

17. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I considered one, however the only use for me is as I'm always traveling it would be useful, however it isn't worth it to me, so I just went for the MBP. I guess it is useful for elderly people, so they don't have to carry much, and it's very simple for them to use.

It's not for any heavy user though.

18. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

19. maroulis macrumors member

i owned a Rev A and most recently a Rev C. The latest revision is a major improvement (SSD, Graphics) compared to Rev A (HD, crappy graphics) but it STILL overheats due to the design imho...And before anyone says anything about coolbook, I did buy it and tried to live with it, but undervolting the CPU to 1.6Ghz just to make it run less hotter is not a long-term solution imho.... Another thing I noticed on the Rev C was the fans were always on at 6200rpm..

Even though I LOVE the design and found the Rev C capable of being my day2day companion and worked GREAT with my Dell 3008 wfp 30" LCD, I just can't live with the overheating, absence of glass trackpad, still crappier batter unlike MBP and new screen that MBP line now has..

so, I gave it to my g/f and bought the 2.53Ghz MBP 13.. I'm adding intel X25 160GB SSD (should be here tomorrow) and moving on. I can tell you the weight difference which was my most major turn-off on the MBP disappears after couple of days, the only other "complain" I have is the larger magsafe but you I just slip the MBP on an incase sleeve and the battery is so good I almost never have to take magsafe with me :)

i for one thought I'd never be happy with anything but the Air but I was proven wrong... I love the MBP 13"

20. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

No need to get personal and say I haven't done my research. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a machine with integrated graphics because gaming is out of the question.

Yeah, I'm sure Photoshop runs on it, but Photoshop runs on almost anything, unless you're working with really huge images (in which case, you are probably a designer/photographer on a Mac Pro).

For its slim and light form factor I understand that there are trade-offs, but for that price, it's not for me.

21. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I really want one, badly, to go to classes with. But having two computers in college is too much.

22. ascender macrumors 68000

I bought a rev A machine to try it, but did end up returning it within the 10 day period I had and bought a Macbook instead.

Firstly, I think its a brilliant idea. I know some people say its flawed, but I think its a perfect form factor for those on the move or those who want a second machine. The full size keyboard and large screen are brilliant. I'm not bothered about a lack of ports or DVD drive built-in. At home I have a USB hub so that only needs one connection and all my media can be shared via the network.

The problem I had with it was that the machine felt sluggish for its specs. No matter what I was doing, there was no snappy response which is what I was used to with other Macs. The HDD size was also very limiting, no matter how frugal I tried to be with the programs I wanted to use. Apps and data do add up in size when you're traveling, even for a few days and you can't always be guaranteed of a location which will let you access your online storage, or Back To My Mac etc.

However, I know we're now on revision C and people have said that the upgrades in architecture mean its now a much "snappier" and responsive machine. There's a bigger HDD and the price of SSD drives is coming down, so I would have considered it again if it weren't for the new MBPs.

I just found that in every day useage, even carrying it around, a 13" MBP isn't that much more cumbersome than a MBA. The actual footprint of the machine isn't an issue as its not like you're comparing a netbook size to a notebook size. In return for the extra weight, which isn't as big a difference as you might think, you're getting a faster & more powerful machine.

That's what it came down to for me. But there's definitely something nice about the idea of the MBA and I still want one although I'm not entirely sure why. If they release one with 4GB RAM and a 500GB HDD, then I would have to seriously consider it.

23. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

My partner has a MBA as her primary computer, and it's perfect for her. Satisfies 100% of her needs. I use it sometimes and it's nice.

It wouldn't keep me going - my personal machine is a white macbook, with 500gb drive and 4gb, and I often use it for VMs and video editing and DVD authoring. I need my gigabit ethernet, firewire port, at least 400GB, and ideally 8GB ram but I'll make do with 4GB. And my upgraded macbook cost half of hers.

If you don't need the heavy duty stuff, MBA's are lovely machines. The newer ones are fine for video editing if you don't need much space or are happy with a USB external drive.

24. ascender macrumors 68000

I find with laptops and computers in general that once you have one, you always end up doing more with it than you expected, that's why the RAM and HDD are still an issue for me personally.

25. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

the question that should have been asked at the beginning is, "what do YOU plan to do with your computer, whatever it may be?"

if you want a "main computer" but only surf the net, scratch a few emails, and view youtube clips, even an ipod touch would fit your needs. if you plan on doing anything graphic intensive, then no, it likely wont. as good as the current MBA is, it's not as capable as the other MB's on the market due to the offerings of discreet graphics and larger system memory.