What do other browsers have That safari doesn't

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Feb 7, 2012.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Curious if overall something like atomic browser is better.

2. libertysat macrumors regular

Safari is alright but some sites, like my local newspaper, load substatialy faster on Mercury browser

I prefer the appearance of Safari but use Mercury for some sites

3. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i was actually wondering if other browsers have any way to be 'faster'

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Try them out. See if they render any faster for the sites you visit. You could have hand your answer in the time that you posted this thread and sat around waiting for a spoon fed answer. The sites you frequent will have an impact so testing is your best bet for an answer.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Why don't you try it out on your own and see how it is?! Why do you have to always ask someone elses opinion?

6. emuyshondt macrumors member

I mostly use Safari on my iPhone and Atomic on my iPad. The reason is that I need to go to a work site that knows how to deal with the iPhone Safari browser, but not with the iPad. Atomic lets me set it up so it identifies itself as the iPhone Safari browser and everything works.

Besides that, the rest of the features are mostly a matter of preference. Atomic also supports private browsing.

The best thing about Safari is being able to keep by bookmarks synchronized across my iPhone,iPad and Mac.

For me, I can sometimes notice rendering speed, but most of the time there's not enough of a difference between browsers to really matter that much. I guess that depends on the sites that are important to you.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Safari is ok, but with a tiny 3.5" screen it's very limiting. I prefer any of the other browsers that offer full screen viewing.

If Apple decides to put a modern size screen on the next iPhone I'll surely buy one.

----------

Sounds like your bored.

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

No other browser will be faster at rendering on a modern iPhone (in theory Opera could be quicker if the page is covered in so much javascript it takes an age to load, even more so than Opera's proxy reinterpreting the page into byte code, but that's an edge case) than Safari because the App Store demands that any browser able to run javascript must use the iPhone's webkit rendering engine, exactly as Safari does.

The only difference is in functionality - for instance some limited abilities to download file types in iCab that the Safari browser will only stream and not allow you to save.

Phazer

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm always bored. This guy posts thread after thread about the most stupid stuff.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Oh Cody, I always feel so bad for you...have you ever even seen the sun? although, knowing you, you'd have a million questions about it.