What do other countries do with sexual offenders?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Naimfan, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I just read a brief note in a US newspaper regarding a sexual offender. It made me wonder what typically happens in other countries to the guilty person as far as punishment, and if they are required to register as sex offenders, submit to lie detector tests, etc.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Lie detector tests, who actually uses them anymore.

In the UK generally prison, then sexual offenders list, possible supervision orders/curfews/tagging. They have to report to police stations at regular intervals and have restrictions on movements.

3. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

In Iran, homosexuality is a sexual offence, punishable by execution. I do not know about sentences for crimes punishable in the UK in Iran though. But this is one of the most extreme.

UK is generally a life sentence (20ish years) for anything paedophilic, but it ranges massively due to status of 'passive' person, etc. They are also permanently listed as sex offenders, which can prevent them from ever getting certain jobs (especially those concerning children) and entering other countries.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Lie detector tests can be fooled by people so are generally inadmissible in court as the results they produce are unreliable.