What do they mean by the text will be more "sharper" on the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gamecube117, Mar 14, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

So today I fiddled with my friend's iPad 2. I was browsing through the net and I zoomed in as close as possible and the text was already crisp clear. It can't get any more crisp than that. There was literally no pixels.

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I'm nitpicking because I think I get what you meant, but there couldn't have been "literally no pixels" as there's no such thing as a screen with no pixels.

The idea of the sharpness is that if you move your eyes closer and closer to the screen, you'll eventually make out pixels. From the iPad 2 to the new iPad, you can be closer to the screen now without seeing pixels.

3. rovex macrumors 65816

You need to inform yourself by searching aliased and anti-aliased text.

4. ArizonaKid macrumors regular

If you use an iPhone 4 or 4S you notice the difference right away when viewing the iPad 1 or 2.

5. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

This. The iPhone w/retina display is amazing looking. Placing it side by side with an iPad 1 or 2 makes the iPad look weak. The retina display had a much wider viewing angle, better color rendition and (obviously) significantly higher resolution. On the iPhone it often strikes me as looking like a back-lit piece of paper. Like it's a dummy overlay on a display phone in a store. It really is that good. I can't wait to have a big, gorgeous iPad screen like that.

6. SuperRob macrumors regular

Text at smaller sizes (or lower zoom) has more pixels to work with, and thus, renders sharper. When looking at a webpage, even 6pt type is legible on a retina display.

7. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

You won't need to zoom in so far for the text to be clear with the Retina screen. Everything will be obvious once you see a Retina display alongside the same sized non-Retina display.

8. bucknuts07 macrumors newbie

I must have very picky eyes, I switched over to an iphone 4 last year, and bought an ipad 2 for christmas for myself, and my family. When I would browse web pages, and read the text, it always looked fuzzy, especially compared to my iphone 4. Somebody summed it up well earlier, its like watching standard def tv. It looked fine for all whole lives, until we watched HDTV. Now when I have to watch something non hdtv, I usually end up watching something else:D

9. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

The difference is not as noticable when you are zoomed in, but when you are zoomed out.

The fonts on this site when zoomed out are about 5 pixels tall. On retina they will be 10 pixels, which makes a world of difference.

10. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

It means you should not touch the screen as you can cut yourself.

11. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

If you look at magnified versions of the text fonts, you'll see that the edges of each letter has been blurred to make it appear to be a curve instead of blocky pixels. The dark black of the letter is surrounded by light grey pixels. On the new iPad, they were able to actually draw the curves using the smaller pixels, so that blurring is not necessary except with super tiny fonts. So the letters will appear quite a bit sharper.

It's like seeing HDTV for the first time - if you are looking at an SDTV and not used to seeing HD, it will look perfectly fine to you. But once you get a look at true HD, you'll be amazed at the sharpness. With the new iPad, you won't get it until you actually see the new display.

12. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

I think I understand the OP, on the iPad 2 when you view text on websites you can zoom in all the way and the text still looks crystal clear. That's because that text is a vector-based graphic, meaning that the text scales perfectly no matter how much you zoom, and will always be crystal clear. Where the retina display excels is in bitmapped graphics, which are the vast majority of graphics and text you see on a computer. Bitmapped graphics do not scale, so the more you zoom in the easier it is to see the individual pixels that make up that graphic. The retina display will make that crystal clear, too essentially.

13. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Except the text in Safari will look infinitely sharper as well. There's really no difference, the smaller fonts in Safari are still anti-aliased, and they won't be on the iPad 3.

14. monkeylui macrumors 6502

They used calligraphy pens instead of sharpies. :)

15. johnray10 macrumors member

i remember when they announced the retina for iPhone.. i was thinking the same thing haha. i was thinking the words are already clear to me. BUT it really is something you just have to see. like others above have said.. take a iPhone 4S and iPhone 3G or iPad 2 and it is pretty remarkable! its like candy for your eyes. hard to explain in words. just have to see it for yourself!

16. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Look at it this way.

Even though the retina display is just an evolution of existing, well-established display technology (LCD), in a way it is like an all-new technology that we've never seen before.

For the first time (starting with the iPhone 4), pixelization is a non-issue. Yes there are pixels there, but they are shrunk so small that they don't matter any more. Looking at words and images on a screen is now just as good as reading a magazine page, except better because they move and change. That's pretty incredible when you think about it. I've used computers since the 80s, and not having to look at pixels is a revolution. Remember the slick displays on Star Trek The Next Generation? Yeah, we have those now.

Just wait until all computer displays use this tech. It's coming. Apple just took the first step in scaling it up.

17. homeboy macrumors 6502

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Tru dat. As I've said for a year, it's not that the iPad 2 has a bad display. It's just the iPhone 4/4S has one that is SO MUCH BETTER.

I hate it that the news reports shortcut the explanation by just saying the new iPad will have a "sharper" display. That's like saying a subwoofer will add "more" bass to your sound system. The Retina Display makes you forget you're looking at a screen. It almost looks like the words are written on glass and were engraved by a frickin' laser beam.

19. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

i am betting it is going to be a bizarre experience for most of us..

I remember when i first saw a 5 inch 720p panel...its like my eyes weren't ready for what they had just seen..

the retina display will be like looking at a photograph, it will actually almost look "fake" it will look TOO good..

20. dell who? macrumors member

Yeah bro, everything you've heard is just hype. Computers, phones, televisions, cars, airplanes, boats, shoes, clothing... These things never get better. All the millions of people who like new stuff are just stupid. Who needs an iPad 3 when we've got pen and paper? Who needs a car when you can just ride a horse? Horses have literally no pixels bro.

21. number84 macrumors 6502

you'll be able to read web pages without zooming in or even rotating to landscape....at least i hope as i like to hold the iPad in portrait like a magazine.

22. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Do you have an iphone 4/4s? I mean I'm not picky but even I can notice the difference in text between the two (now graphics, I don't notice as much).

The text is smoother and not as pixelated (it looks like it's actually real typeface) on the iphone 4. And honestly, text is where it really shows up. I had to get used to ibooks on the ipad 2 when I was looking at them this week (being impatient cause my mom is eventually going to give me hers) cause it wasn't as nice as on my iphone.

23. PsychOK macrumors member

If you have seen the difference between the 3GS screen and the iPhone 4 screen, you can make a similar comparison to the difference between the iPad 2 and the new iPad. The difference should be very noticeable. I know some people, for reasons I do not understand, don't seem to really care about the higher resolution, but to me it is practically the biggest improvement you can make to a device like this. To me, the screen improvement alone makes it a much bigger leap forward than the iPad 2 made. It will make every experience you have, whether it be watching movies, viewing photos, reading books and surfing the internet, better.