What do Trump supporters feel about the warmth to Putin?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mooblie, Jan 7, 2017.

1. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

As a Brit, who uses these forums to view the - predominantly - American view on the world: what do the Trump supporters here feel about the warmth coming from Trump towards Putin?

I am genuinely curious about how/why things have changed regarding your traditionally world's-worst-bogey regime?

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Though there is nothing easy about foreign policy with the Russians, why would a better relationship between major world leaders be a bad thing?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Weren't liberals here saying that talking with your enemies (Iran as an example) a good thing? Interesting that with Russia it isn't.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've said many times here that if trump pulls off an alliance with Putin, that could be a very positive thing.

It all depends on what Putin expects in return.

But as an advocate for peace and cooperation, I'm not going to argue against the concept.

5. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

So far, I have no objection with Trump's non-adversarial approach with Putin.

I'm not sure taking merely this forum as the predominant American view is wise.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Comparing Russia to Iran is pure ignorance.

7. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I think making peace with them isn't such a bad idea. I've always felt that China would eventually be our enemy. I've watched all local shops close down, Chinese goods and knockoffs everywhere, even the damn phone I'm using, my bath towel, bed sheets, etc.

How can we sustain if we're so far up in debt past our eyeballs to that country?

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's interesting that you'd see them as an enemy because we buy stuff from them.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It will depend on the actual policies. Anything else is just blabbing and newspaper gossip. Saddam was our best buddy for many years, yet we hunted him until his neck snapped from a rope.

10. Robstevo macrumors 6502

indeed, Russia is a far far more dangerous nation.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

The US is a far more dangerous nation from a global order perspective. Russia is just trying to adjust to the post Soviet era, and trying to get back to some form of leadership in its own regional area.
    Instead we invade sovereign countries, we do not accept when another sovereign country calls someone else for help, and we encourage/finance "springs" that end up inevitably against us resulting in the creation of strong terrorist organization or whole new terrorist states.

12. Robstevo macrumors 6502

Russia are both as bad as each other. Both like to have a d**k measuring contest.

I just thought I was say Iran is fish bate compared to Russia is all. Both in terms of nuclear powers, and its corruption.

And they are not "adjusting" they are trying to climb back to the top of the food chain again.

Either way though, I think Clinton would have been worse for relations with Russia, I just find the hypocrisy of republicans to be funny as hell is all. Before trump Russia was their worst enemy.

13. yaxomoxay, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017

yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

In the case of Russia I don't think that it's a jewels measuring contest. The collapse of the empire caused a trauma, and Russia is simply acting to get back to its historical perspective.
    Us in Syria Iraq etc has nothing to do with US historical issues, but only with "global influence"

14. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Not just because we buy stuff from them but because they hold the bulk of our debt.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's not their fault.

16. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Iran is the most likely nation to start WWIII so I'm not sure how you can even consider Russia more dangerous.

Iran has as their driving goal the removal of Israel from the planet, and Obama has now enabled them to complete their nuclear weapons program so they can accomplish their goal.

This is publicly stated doctrine for the nation, not simply rhetoric.

Not recognizing this is perhaps the single biggest mistake of the Obama administration - unless of course you believe he is sympathetic with Iran's cause and returned billions of dollars and backed off nuclear monitoring on purpose.

17. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Well unfair labor practices, use of underage workers, low wages, etc that U.S. workers wouldn't stand for makes it hard to compete fairly.

When you've got to install nets to catch suicidal workers, it's a question how humane it is for us to keep this up.

Eventually something has to give.

18. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's called automation and in a decade or two once robots pretty much take over all manufacturing China will be in deep doodoo with hundreds of millions of unemployed (and unemployable) peasants to worry about.

19. thekev, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The speculation surrounding Trump and Russia seemed to originate from financial matters. Trump had investment ties to a Russian bank. This only took off due to underlying tension with Russia in recent years. It's not particularly interesting unless someone digs up something more concrete. It's like listening to Mr. Witt (quoted below) drone on about Vince Foster in older threads.

It's laughable that you would suggest Israel's government is any better than Iran's. They could both use a good housecleaning, but we're stuck with them for now. Given US involvement with both Israel and Iran over the years, specifically supporting the Shah and acting as Israel's enforcer, we created our own problem(s).

20. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I wonder how that'll affect our market? I imagine we'll see automation here too.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh that's pretty much us too.

22. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Russia and Putin are not the enemy, but those in the “Deep $tate” who thought they would $tart a new Cold War are. People on the left are being led by their noses to hate Russia and Putin, sad to watch really.

23. Robstevo macrumors 6502

And you don't think republicans have been the same? Apart from the last year with trump riding putins you know what?

24. kobalap macrumors 6502

I am not Trump supporter but am a staunch Republican.

I am vehemently against any foreign power participating in or influencing any way, the election of any government official in the United States. I don't think we ever should ever tolerate the interference of the Israelis or the Russians. Neither have the United States's best interest at heart.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2017 ---
    Talking with your enemies ain't the same as having your enemies participate in and undermine the election process.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2017 ---
    Israel is not part of the United States. We should not cowtow to Moscow nor should we cowtow to Tel Aviv.

25. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Yes we will, which is why manufacturing will be coming back to the US, but it won't create many jobs. You would have a handful of people running a whole factory with production going 24/7/365.