What do you believe

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by danedane5, Jun 26, 2008.

1. danedane5 macrumors member

danedane5

Do you believe that you must go to church t go to heaven? Do you actually believe there is a heaven? God? Devil? What are your views on religion. I was sitting at my table looking at the ocean and just thinking ha. Thanks.:p

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I believe this thread will be moved to Politics, Religion, Social Issues pretty soon :p

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

this should be moved to the appropriate section

4. danedane5 thread starter macrumors member

danedane5

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

also no offense, but this thread is asking a little much, ur essentially asking for an entire SECTION of the forums in this one thread

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Unfortunately, I don't think you have enough posts to post in PRSI yet, so this thread will probably be closed. Once you do have enough posts, though, come join the madness!

7. egor macrumors regular

I believe in anything for which there is sufficient proof.

I don't believe in faith.

I believe this is the only logical line of reasoning.

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I disagree. I think maybe more people will chime in on this one, since OP is just asking what we believe and not to debate anything. A lot of the other threads are huge debates.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

If I recall, we had a similar thread start out exactly the same in PRSI. You could imagine how it ended. ;)

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

For some people, religion is great. For me, it was mostly a painful experience.

I believe there's something more going on than we know, but I also believe we can't know what it is. I have a feeling a lot of people are in for a big surprise.

11. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

13. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Well, if there is a heaven then of course it will not be exclusive to Christians (after all, does that include both Catholics and Protestants? Right-wing evangelists and progressive Christians?)

Otherwise, woe betide you if you are not born into a Western Christian country. Bad luck for rolling Hindu.

It ended?! ;)

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

several actually.

and what do i believe? eh, thats not easy to answer. but i'd guess that my views align most with Buddhism, but thats not to say that i believe in all their teachings, just their outlook on lifestyle for the most part.

15. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I'm an atheist so to me there is no heaven or hell no god or devil but that is just my feelings, each to their own.

However I don't go around ramming my beliefs down people's throats and don't expect somebody to do it to me.

16. BigPrince macrumors 68020

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

--Marcus Aurelius

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

18. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Amen :D

19. BigPrince macrumors 68020

That is the basic main part of it. I have a little more to it, but that part is the important part.

20. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

21. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I'm a Christian, although the goal of my faith has little, if anything, to do with "getting to heaven." And my personal beliefs specifically about those who go to heaven on one end have nothing to do with going to church, at least not solely. It certainly is beneficial to be engaged in learning, service and community but a) not every church has the proper things in mind and b) not every person of the congregation has the proper things in mind.

Ultimately I lean towards something like universal salvation.

22. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

This is the direction my beliefs, study, etc. have taken over the past few years. It is very good to hear there are more like me. :)

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- right there with ya.

24. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Only in the "existence" of my perceptions on some level.

Nothing else, why on earth would I?