What do you do for charity? Liberals vs. Conservatives

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

List the things that you do for charity on a regular basis.

-designed and run a website for a down syndrome organization.

-teach bi-monthly computer courses for the elderly

-help with quarterly economic seminars for the local businesses (mostly about e-commerce type stuff). Also designed/run the local SBA site.

-I short charge people who I don't think are doing that well off, if their house looks like crap I usually decide what to charge them more by what I think they can pay than what they owe.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

A poll of whether you do charity or not? I want a list of what people do. I get called selfish here quite often, I just want to know what others are doing for their communities.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I was thinking a poll on amount given and political affiliation, though you can give time too, and I don't think you can have two polls so it wouldn't work :eek:.

Personally I give a small monthly sum to Amnesty International.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I donate to the United Way through payroll deduction each month out of my paycheck.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

One can be selfish, yet do all of the things you claim to do. If you do charity to make yourself feel better, then your motives are selfish.

Perhaps asking those accusing you of WHY you are considered selfish would be a more productive endeavor in your journey to self-discovery. Again, asking what OTHERS do in no way addresses the issue of whether or not you are selfish. In fact, the "I'm doing more/less for my community than you" comparison is kinda sad.

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I suffer fools, which is a considerable act of charity on my behalf.

8. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't need to make myself feel better, I feel great all the time. I will take this as your way of saying "I don't contribute to society more than what I am forced to by the federal government".

It is interesting to see what people do for their communities, I don't see a problem in that. The comparison between liberals and conservatives was just for fun.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I may be taking a missionary trip to kenya next summer with my uncle to build an orphanage. :)

Other than that, I haven't done anything in a while as I'm getting ready for college tomorrow. I can't wait to actually get involved in Rochester though, about a month ago when I went up there I helped host and work a dinner at the church for some homeless families that are living there .

I'll take that as a continuance of your normal attitude on these forums. :rolleyes:

10. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

He did attempt an evasive maneuver on my well meaning thread by trying to focus on me.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) YOU are the one who mentioned you get called selfish quite often in your reply above
    2) Your inference is based on no implication, and is insulting. My philanthropy/charity efforts far exceed "what I am forced to by the federal government"
    3) You seem to jump to too many conclusions (e.g. "if their house looks like crap I usually decide what to charge them more by what I think they can pay than what they owe"). Don't judge a book by its cover (or a person by his posts).

12. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

That's awesome! :)

I'm looking to join a RAM mission, if I can get the logistics to work. I wish they did more in Africa and South America, but currently most of their projects are within the USA (not that I'm opposed to helping domestically - I just would one day like more international charity experience). I worked with a group that helped villagers in Tanzania treat the parasitic diseases they have there, and it was an amazing experience.

EDIT: Spelling mistake correction

13. Queso macrumors G4

At the moment bugger all, but in my time I've organised a number of fund raisers for famine relief charities.

Right now between sorting out my clients and studying for a serious qualification there's not very many hours left. I do at least have the decency to feel like a complete **** about it though, if that helps :p

14. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

For a time, I raised other people's children when they were incapable of doing so themselves. Tough work.

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I feed and/or give small amounts of money to some down-on-their luck individuals in my neighborhood.

I pay for cabs for drunk people leaving my work.

I donate about $150 a month to 3 different charities.

I do my best to assist the rare and random person I run into who is having a really bad run of things - the how varies. Ride, hotel room, meal, cash...whatever.

16. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I give on average of 42 cents a day to the Ronald McDonald House.

My wife and I annually donate my kids unused and outgrown toys to our local childrens hospital.

I donate some prints occasionally to a friends silent art auction for childrens charity.

Not sure what the point of this thread is... Is there supposed to be a "winner"?...

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Mine is all in the form of donations:

AIDS Foundation, Center on Halsted, and Illinois Vets.

18. remmy macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't it of been better if this was in the community section unless your trying to prove a specific point?

Volunteer as a youth worker

Do allot of design and promotional work

Used to raise money with those sponsored cycling like London to Brighton, ought to do that again it was good fun.

19. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Actually it was going off of the volunteerism doesn't work sentiment that was in a few other threads. I am wondering if people feel that they are doing their "part" solely by paying taxes.

Secondly I wonder if people would do more if they didn't have to pay so much in taxes.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I tend to think it better not to talk about that kind of stuff anyway, but especially if you wish to politicise the question and score points.

21. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I volunteer at Toronto General every week, bag lunches for the homeless, give free graphics design services to campus clubs, did Habitat for Humanity a couple years ago, and fundraise for Partners in Health & various other organisations as part of my involvement in student clubs. I'm not much for donating at the moment; haven't exactly got much cash. :eek:

22. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I'm impressed.

My spouse is the most generous person I've ever known, and does so much incognito with no recognition whatsoever. To this day most people have no idea.

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I volunteered to work with kids at a summer camp for a few weeks(after going through a training process). I helped lead an effort to clean up a local storm basin in the area, replacing non native plants with native plants(helps the watershed in the area). I was also went on a trip to the shore doing the same thing.(along with creating things designed to save turtles near the beach). I'm also involved with a few groups that raise/donate money to charities(child's play, organizations that help kids get books to read, etc)

But before anyone tries to take this thread and say one side helps out more...something to remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

24. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We also have to remember that we already know that in whole conservatives contribute more to charity than liberals. :p

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Or they're just more likely to toot their own horns.