What do you expect to see in the MBPs in spring/summer of 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by quentoncassidy, Nov 23, 2010.

1. quentoncassidy macrumors newbie

I know it's a long way away. I'm just wondering because that's when I'll be going off to college and that's when I'll be able to get my first laptop.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

There really isn't a great way to tell. It would be better to check back within 6 months or so of your planned purchase

3. jlw2387 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would guess, more powerful CPU/GPU, more RAM, the latest version of OS X, more HDD space and a nicer looking screen. That's also my prediction for 2014, 2016 etc.

4. uMBPi728, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

uMBPi728 macrumors member

Not a prediction, it's more like...

Speculation.

It's fun to speculate about stuff like this. So, don't jump on me when I say...

And if I had any say in what the next Macbook Pros will be like, it would look like the MB Air but bigger! I'd say make it come in 17", razor thin profile top case, liquid metal alloy, satin finish. With matte edge to edge screen for us photographers and designers. The gentle taper of the bottom case would be tall enough to house 2 or 4 light peak ports, 1 or 2 on both sides. (Ok, maybe just 2) The latest mobile version Intel processor and latest GPU. Small/micro form factor SSDs and memory. No optical drive, you'll have to buy an extnl SuperDrive. The body would be a unibody incarnation with carbon fiber to keep the frame stiff and light. Battery would be thin Lithium Ion Polymer cells arranged to fit the entire front half of the bottom case to give 10hrs of battery power during moderate load use. Target weight: <6lbs.

Ok, ok, I know there are some engineering hurdles to jump over but it would seem that most are actually doable. Design-wise, you can have the body taper from 1" back to .25" front. Stiffness in the body and top case can be reinforced with carbon fiber to keep weight down. Battery life and heat management would depend on the speed of the processor and supporting chips...I don't think going quad core and anything over 3GHz would be practical unless energy consumption and heat can be minimized to acceptable Apple guidelines. The battery would have to be formed as a wedge shape with multiple cells to fit the tight front panel.

I know, my musings are just fantasy but it's great to verbalize them. What would you add/or dismiss?

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

6. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

might tell you to learn how to use the search function and see for yourself how many of these threads pop up every single day

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

8. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Pretty much, this is the only thing we are certain about. ;)

9. yamaha106 macrumors member

10. RAWphenom macrumors member

so you're gonna get a woman complementary with your MBP?