Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quentoncassidy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
I know it's a long way away. I'm just wondering because that's when I'll be going off to college and that's when I'll be able to get my first laptop.

jlw2387

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would guess, more powerful CPU/GPU, more RAM, the latest version of OS X, more HDD space and a nicer looking screen. That's also my prediction for 2014, 2016 etc.

uMBPi728

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
Glendale, Ca and Berkeley
Not a prediction, it's more like...

Speculation.

It's fun to speculate about stuff like this. So, don't jump on me when I say...

And if I had any say in what the next Macbook Pros will be like, it would look like the MB Air but bigger! I'd say make it come in 17", razor thin profile top case, liquid metal alloy, satin finish. With matte edge to edge screen for us photographers and designers. The gentle taper of the bottom case would be tall enough to house 2 or 4 light peak ports, 1 or 2 on both sides. (Ok, maybe just 2) The latest mobile version Intel processor and latest GPU. Small/micro form factor SSDs and memory. No optical drive, you'll have to buy an extnl SuperDrive. The body would be a unibody incarnation with carbon fiber to keep the frame stiff and light. Battery would be thin Lithium Ion Polymer cells arranged to fit the entire front half of the bottom case to give 10hrs of battery power during moderate load use. Target weight: <6lbs.

Ok, ok, I know there are some engineering hurdles to jump over but it would seem that most are actually doable. Design-wise, you can have the body taper from 1" back to .25" front. Stiffness in the body and top case can be reinforced with carbon fiber to keep weight down. Battery life and heat management would depend on the speed of the processor and supporting chips...I don't think going quad core and anything over 3GHz would be practical unless energy consumption and heat can be minimized to acceptable Apple guidelines. The battery would have to be formed as a wedge shape with multiple cells to fit the tight front panel.

I know, my musings are just fantasy but it's great to verbalize them. What would you add/or dismiss?

Last edited:

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
might tell you to learn how to use the search function and see for yourself how many of these threads pop up every single day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.